Basketball in the blood

March 1, 2021

The Lady Lions basketball team made history this year by clinching the program’s first-ever state title, making the entire Louisa community proud.

It has been 25 years since the Louisa Lady Lions have played a state-level game. This season has been especially noteworthy for senior guard Lydia Wilson as her mother, Natalie Wilson, who competed on the ‘96 basketball team that was the last to make the journey to the state semi-finals. 

It has been a sentimental season for Natalie to watch and see her daughter make history for the program she once played for. 

I am overjoyed that she has had the opportunity to experience one of my greatest joys and accomplishments, and fondest memories from high school. There is no better feeling to win, and to win with such a great group of teammates! It’s been so fun for me to relive those memories through Lydia,” said mom, Natalie.

From a young age, the mother-daughter duo has had a special bond through the sport.

“[My mom] really inspired and encouraged me to [become involved in the sport]. Having the same passion for basketball positively affected my relationship with my mom because it gave us another thing in common. It is pretty cool having someone in my life that has experienced the same thing as me thus far,” Lydia said. 

Natalie has had the opportunity to watch her only daughter grow up loving the sport that she once shared the same passion for. The team’s success has been many years in the making and for Lydia, her mom has been a driving force throughout her career. 

“She has always encouraged me to do my best and work hard. When there were times that I didn’t want to put in the extra work, she encouraged me to go do it and it really paid off.”

Lydia plans to continue her basketball career in college this coming fall. 

“[I am] very proud of how Lydia has become her own player.” Natalie Wilson said. “And now [I] get to be her number one fan!” 

The Wilsons are just one example of the family that made up this 2021 team.  Many of these girls have played together since their days of Upward basketball, and Louisa county is so proud of how far they have come.

This season was a roller coaster of emotions for these athletes as they played at this level of competition for the first time.

Fans lined the streets of Louisa and formed impromptu, socially distanced send-offs for the girls, boasting signs and sending the Lady Lions off in style.  Though the season may be over for these champs, they made memories that will last a lifetime in the hearts of the entire Lion nation.

$625
$750

The Lion's Roar • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$625
$750