Qwenton Spellman Commits to Towson

Qwenton+Spellman+announces+his+commitment+to+Towson+University+Aug.+21.+

Photo Courtesy of Towson University

Qwenton Spellman announces his commitment to Towson University Aug. 21.

Arianna Taylor, Editor-in-Chief

Senior Qwenton Spellman announced his commitment to play Division 1 football at Towson University, Maryland, where he received a full scholarship. As a junior, he racked up 41.5 tackles, four sacks, broke up two passes, and forced two fumbles. 

Richmond University, Norfolk State University, Saint Francis University, and Old Dominion University offered Spellman a scholarship, but the Tigers outweighed the opponents. 

“The coaching staff makes me feel at home and it’s in a great part of Baltimore,” Spellman said. “As soon as I leave my Louisa family, I know I’ll have another family at Towson”

Playing at the collegiate level is the goal for most high school athletes, but not everyone makes it that far. The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) posted statistics from the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) “about 2 percent of high school athletes are awarded some form of athletics scholarship to compete in college”

“I’m just grateful I have the opportunity to play,” Spellman said. 

Spellman’s attitude toward the game allows him to stand as a role model for younger athletes; they can learn what it takes to play after high school. 

“Younger athletes can look up to Qwenton because he has a great work ethic; he takes football seriously and he pays attention to the little details,” quarterback Landon Wilson said. “These qualities are how he is making it to the next level.”

Spellman also has the physical characteristics that make him a desirable prospect for the team. At 295 pounds and 6-foot-3, Spellman plays defensive end, defensive tackle, and nose guard.

“Not many 300lbs kids are as fast and athletic as Qwenton,” Head Football Coach Will Patrick said. “He is a very strong young man” 

College athletics are more intense and the stakes are higher than in high school. 

“College football is different, it’s a business, it’s still pretty pure in high school, you’re playing with the people you grew up with, you’re playing with your best friends,” Patrick said. 

One of the biggest challenges for student-athletes is splitting attention between both academics and sports. Finding a school that assists with academics can be hard, but Spellman feels he found that at Towson. 

“Towson is big on academics, so I trust that I can do my work with the support that I need,” Spellman said. 

Spellman will major in sports medicine to become an athletic trainer if he can no longer play football. As an athletic trainer, Spellman will repay football for the opportunities it has given him.

“If football doesn’t work out, I would like to be an athletic trainer so I could stay around the game of football,” Spellman said. “I want to help athletes keep their body healthy, like my athletic trainers have done for me”

The pressure of planning his future has gone away because of the commitment. Now he can make the most out of his senior year and the time he has left in Louisa.

“It takes a weight off my shoulders, I know I have a home at Towson that I can go to next year,” Spellman said. “Now I can focus on Louisa and taking us to the state championship.”