• March 4Caitlin Clark becomes all-time leading scorer in NCAA division one basketball.
  • March 4Eagles center, Jason Kelce, retires after 13 seasons in the NFL.
  • March 4Donald Trump wins Colorado ballot case.
  • March 1Texas experiences largest wildfire in state history, currently showing no signs of resolve.
  • March 1Varsity and JV softball will have pictures today.
  • March 1Varsity and JV baseball scrimmages are canceled.
  • February 29Former WWE wrestler, Michael Jones, passes away at 61.
  • February 29JV and Varsity baseball will have team pictures after school today.
  • February 29Comedian, Richard Lewis, passes away at the age of 76.
  • February 28Nike will be creating new uniforms for National Women's Soccer League.

Olivia Rodrigo takes the stage

Olivia Rodrigo brings her newest album, “GUTS,” on tour across the world. Rodrigo is a pop star who has released two albums while highlighting her music’s popularity by performing her music live for the world. 

“SOUR” was released on May 21st, 2021. On June, 5th, 2021 all 11 songs on the album were placed in the top 30 of the billboard. A few years following, on September 8th, 2023, Rodrigo released the long-awaited sophomore album, “GUTS”. On September 23rd, (less than a month after the release of the album) all of Rodrigo’s 12 songs placed into the top 40 of the Billboard Top 100

“Of her 24 career songs to chart on the Hot 100, all have reached the top 40,” according to Billboard Top 100. “Except for her first entry, ‘All I Want.’ The song, from ‘High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,’ peaked at No. 90 in 2020.” 

Rodrigo is known to write song lyrics about her struggles as a 20 year-old, many featuring lyrics about teenage experiences and mistakes, making her lyrics relatable to most people her age. 

“I feel like she really talks to like the inner soul.” sophomore Chelsea Stone said. “Where as like a lot of other pop musicians, they like kind of speak to everybody, but her music almost feels like if she is specifically talking to me.”

With “SOUR’s” release, Rodrigo gives her full “story” on her recently ended relationship with co-star Joshua Bassett. The songs on the album are about her feelings towards him and how he betrayed and hurt her. But in her second album, she talks about her involvements in certain situations and how she feels guilty. 

“So I like that she sort of shows the angrier side to like a breakup.” sophomore Elizabeth Middlesworth said. “But also she shows how she feels guilty and that it’s not always just to be mad at him, sometimes she blames herself a little bit.”

Rodrigo sings mostly about her love life and feelings about her relationships. The lyric choices in her songs show her true feelings about the relationship and about her ex boyfriend. But her sophomore album doesn’t just reiterate the same theme. She actually realizes that she may be in the wrong, and not the only victim in these situations. 

“Every good thing has turned into somethin’ I dread, and I’m playing the victim so well in my head. But it’s me who’s been makin’ the bed,” Rodrigo said, from her song “Making the bed.”