• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Unseen Heros: The faces behind the books

Cassie Duerson
Mrs. Matthews and Ms. Forbes sit at the main desk in the library where the greet students daily.

Walking past the Eugenia T. Bumpass Library and Media Center during the school day, one may notice the smiling faces sitting at the desk. Those are the faces of library secretary Pam Matthews, and librarian Debra Forbes, who make sure the library operates smoothly, with the help of technology coach Nikki Wagoner.

Students may assume the library is just a place where they go to check out books or do research, but the librarians work hard to make sure students enjoy visiting the library and are using its tools to be successful. The library staff works with students and teachers daily, distributing chargers and teaching lessons. 

This is Matthews’ first year working as the library secretary, but she has worked within the school system for seven years. Some of her past secretary positions include working in the central office, the athletic department, main office and the In-School Suspension department. 

“Working in the library is different from other jobs in the school because you get to interact with the students more, and you get to help the teachers,” Matthews said. “It’s so exciting and rewarding when you get to help others.”

Mrs. Wagoner, Mrs. Matthews, and Ms. Forbes stand together for a picture displaying their #Kindness shirts.

Similar to Matthews, this is also Forbes’ first year working in the library and at the high school. Previously, she taught elementary school, middle school and worked as an adjunct instructor at James Madison University.

“My favorite job by far is being a librarian,” Forbes said. “I love the variety of instruction and the students are awesome.”

For students, being inside the classroom daily can become repetitive and make it hard to focus. The library staff is able to work with teachers to get students learning outside of the typical classroom environment.

Wagoner handles the media side of the library, but before she joined the library staff she taught special education, elementary school and middle school. She collaborates with teachers to incorporate technology into their lessons and also assists students with technology based projects. 

“I’ve had opportunities to co-teach with Ms. Forbes, and I try to add technology intentionally into the library lessons, ” Wagoner said.

Some students have the opportunity to work as a “library aide” during the semester. These students work closely with Matthews and Forbes to ensure small tasks are completed. These aides run errands, ensure chargers are returned and place materials in teacher mailboxes.

“They are both so nice and full of good energy,” library aide and junior Sandra Davenport said. “We would walk in and they would say “hey girls” with a smile.”

Those working in the library are able to make connections with students that are different from a teacher. They can work with them one-on-one while teaching a lesson or helping them with research or a project.

“I love my students and I get to see them everyday, and I hate when I’m not with them,” Matthews said.