• March 4Caitlin Clark becomes all-time leading scorer in NCAA division one basketball.
  • March 4Eagles center, Jason Kelce, retires after 13 seasons in the NFL.
  • March 4Donald Trump wins Colorado ballot case.
  • March 1Texas experiences largest wildfire in state history, currently showing no signs of resolve.
  • March 1Varsity and JV softball will have pictures today.
  • March 1Varsity and JV baseball scrimmages are canceled.
  • February 29Former WWE wrestler, Michael Jones, passes away at 61.
  • February 29JV and Varsity baseball will have team pictures after school today.
  • February 29Comedian, Richard Lewis, passes away at the age of 76.
  • February 28Nike will be creating new uniforms for National Women's Soccer League.

Students are able to narrow their career path with Sports Medicine class

Savannah Bragg
Whiteside creates a fake abrasion using a dry erase marker to teach students how to properly clean up injuries.

This semester, a new sports medicine class, taught by Assistant Athletic Trainer Sara Whiteside, was added to the course list after receiving student interest last semester. This class covers content including anatomy, injuries and healing, first-aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). 

“I wanted to take this class because after shadowing Mrs. Whiteside during the postseason I learned a lot, and I want to potentially go into the field of being an athletic director,” junior Stella Keiningham said.

After being a part-time athletic trainer at the high school for two years, Whiteside wanted to expand her role and decided to share her love for athletic training through teaching a Sports Medicine class.

“I was able to take a Sports Medicine class when I was in high school and it is one of the main reasons that I chose this profession,” Whiteside said. 

With Whiteside’s experience as an athletic trainer, she is able to create hands-on activities and projects such as practicing mobility yoga, using play dough to build muscles and tendons and performing a lab focused on wrapping ankles, knees and hips.

Junior Taylor Waddy practices bandaging a fake abrasion on junior Abbi Creel’s arm. (Savannah Bragg)

“Mrs. Whiteside teaches us not only what we need to know but also what she’s learned through her experience,” junior Taylor Waddy said.

Next school year, Whiteside will be teaching a Sports Medicine 1 class in the fall and a Sports Medicine 2 class in the spring which will provide more information about training and recovery techniques with the possible opportunity to take a Certified Personal Trainer test at the end of both courses.

“It’s been 10 years since I taught and I have enjoyed how dedicated LCHS students are and how much effort they put into class,” Whiteside said. “It makes it a truly enjoyable time to be in class with them.”

Senior Rosalyn Young wraps up a fake abrasion on senior Abigail Amick’s arm. (Savannah Bragg)