• April 15JV baseball plays Powhatan tonight at 5:30.
  • April 15Boys and Girls soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • April 15Scottie Scheffler wins Masters a second time.
  • April 12LCHS Prom will be held tomorrow at 7-10 pm.
  • April 12JV baseball plays Courtland tonight at home.
  • April 11US strengthens ties with Japan after state visit.
  • April 11Postal service 1st class stamp prices increase again.
  • April 11The Masters will begin today, first tee time scheduled at 10:30am.
  • April 10High pollen levels present today.
  • April 10Renowned physicist,Peter Higgs, passes away at age of 94.

Kelvin Kiptum Cheruiyot

Katie Chan
2023 TCS London Marathon – Elite men race – Kelvin Kiptum (3). Winner of the men race.

Kelvin Kiptum’s world record stride was tragically cut short on February 11, 2024. Kiptum was getting set to break a marathon world record until the fatal accident that occurred at 11 p.m. in western Kenya between the towns of Eldoret and Kaptagat. According to WBAL-TV 11, Kiptum was traveling  with Rwandan coach Gervais Hakizimana who also died. A third athlete, Sharon Kosgei, was in the car and was rushed to the hospital. 

Kiptum was born on December 2, 1999, in Chepsamo village, Eldoret, Kenya. Kiptum ran his first official road race at the age of 13, placing tenth in the Family Bank half marathon. He then returned the following year to win. 

According to Runner’s World, Kiptum’s first international race was in 2019 with a 5th place finish at a personal best of 59:54 in the Lisbon half marathon. His debut marathon was in Valencia setting his first record, being fastest marathon debut in history; clocking in at 2:01:53. A marathon is typically only a road race and covers 26.2 miles. His debut was just 44 seconds slower than fellow Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge record setting Berlin run in the same year. 

Kiptum returned in the 2023 London Marathon to shorten the gap between Kipchoge and himself, running 2:01:25; Simultaneously setting the London record and becoming the second fastest marathon runner of all time. 

TCS London Marathon

Kiptum took the title of fastest of all time in Chicago at 2:00:35. According to LetsRun, he averaged a 4:33 mile and ran his second half in 59:47. At that point, Kiptum had not directly competed with Kipchoge, but that was set to change at the Paris 2024 Olympics. Kiptum’s record was ratified by the international track federation, World Athletics, a week before the accident. 

NBC Chicago

Kiptum was 24 when he died, leaving behind his wife and two children and a legacy of what was to come in Paris, after three wins in three marathons.  

“We had the chance for the first man to go under two hours,” freshman Brayden Nemec said. “I think now we are going to have to wait a lot longer for that to happen. He means a lot to the running community.”