• May 20Heavy fog and low visibility will be experienced in morning hours.
  • May 20Tomorrow will be 1st and 3rd period exams.
  • May 20Red Lobster files bankruptcy.
  • May 17Graduation will be held indoors today, begins at 6:30.
  • May 17North Carolina debating bill that could potentially ban wearing masks in public.
  • May 17Texas hit by wave of severe weather.
  • May 16JV and Varsity baseball plays Goochland tonight.
  • May 16Caitlin Clark's first game in WNBA breaks viewership records.
  • May 16Florida passes legislation that shifts energy focus away from addressing climate change.
  • May 15The senior scholarship ceremony will take place today.

Kelvin Kiptum Cheruiyot

Katie Chan
2023 TCS London Marathon – Elite men race – Kelvin Kiptum (3). Winner of the men race.

Kelvin Kiptum’s world record stride was tragically cut short on February 11, 2024. Kiptum was getting set to break a marathon world record until the fatal accident that occurred at 11 p.m. in western Kenya between the towns of Eldoret and Kaptagat. According to WBAL-TV 11, Kiptum was traveling  with Rwandan coach Gervais Hakizimana who also died. A third athlete, Sharon Kosgei, was in the car and was rushed to the hospital. 

Kiptum was born on December 2, 1999, in Chepsamo village, Eldoret, Kenya. Kiptum ran his first official road race at the age of 13, placing tenth in the Family Bank half marathon. He then returned the following year to win. 

According to Runner’s World, Kiptum’s first international race was in 2019 with a 5th place finish at a personal best of 59:54 in the Lisbon half marathon. His debut marathon was in Valencia setting his first record, being fastest marathon debut in history; clocking in at 2:01:53. A marathon is typically only a road race and covers 26.2 miles. His debut was just 44 seconds slower than fellow Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge record setting Berlin run in the same year. 

Kiptum returned in the 2023 London Marathon to shorten the gap between Kipchoge and himself, running 2:01:25; Simultaneously setting the London record and becoming the second fastest marathon runner of all time. 

TCS London Marathon

Kiptum took the title of fastest of all time in Chicago at 2:00:35. According to LetsRun, he averaged a 4:33 mile and ran his second half in 59:47. At that point, Kiptum had not directly competed with Kipchoge, but that was set to change at the Paris 2024 Olympics. Kiptum’s record was ratified by the international track federation, World Athletics, a week before the accident. 

NBC Chicago

Kiptum was 24 when he died, leaving behind his wife and two children and a legacy of what was to come in Paris, after three wins in three marathons.  

“We had the chance for the first man to go under two hours,” freshman Brayden Nemec said. “I think now we are going to have to wait a lot longer for that to happen. He means a lot to the running community.”