• May 3Cellular providers face lawsuits regarding alerts during Maui wildfires.
  • May 3Walmart issues recall on beef contaminated with E coli.
  • May 3Baseball and softball play Orange tonight.
  • May 2Federal Reserve decides not to increase interests rates.
  • May 2Girls and boys soccer faces off against Orange tonight.
  • May 2China to begin Chang'e 6 , a mission to collect data from the dark side of the moon.
  • May 1Joe Vogel,age 27, earns the title of youngest state delegate in Maryland history.
  • May 1Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 1Rare pigmentation causes golden retriever puppy to be born with green fur.
  • April 30Track will host meet tonight at 5 pm.

Friends of JMRL holds semi-annual book sale

Audrey Ryan
The Friends of JMRL book sale has a wide assortment of different book genres, including fantasy, nonfiction, classics, and romance. There are also CDs, DVDs, puzzles, and games.

Friends of James Madison Regional Library (JMRL) is an organization created to raise funds for the JMRL library branches in Charlottesville, Albermale, Greene, Nelson, and Lousia. This organization hosts a book sale twice a year, one in the spring and the other in the fall. The proceeds go to the JMRL libraries to fund activities and projects.

Proceeds from the Friends of JMRL book sale will go to libraries in Charlottesville, Albermale, Greene, Nelson, and Lousia to fund their activities and projects.
(Audrey Ryan)

This spring, the Friends of JMRL book sale is at 300 Albemarle Square Shopping Center from April 6th to April 14th. The sale opened at 10am and goes until 7pm each day. The Friends of JMRL book sale was slightly different from other book sales because of its prices. Most books were two dollars for a hardcover and one dollar for a paperback which is significantly cheaper than prices at most bookstores. The very last weekend of the sale, April 13th and 14th, all books were half-off. 

“The books at the sale are much cheaper than for example the books I would buy at Barnes and Noble,” sophomore Lillian Hawley said. “And it’s nice to know that the money I’m spending is going to help the library.”

People are invited to donate books that they might not read anymore to Friends of JMRL. Donated books will be sold at the next book sale. Donations directly to the organization open the Monday after the books sale, April 22. The drop-off location is at the Gordon Avenue Branch during normal business hours. People can donate books to this event throughout the year. The most recent donation event was the FFA book drive from March 12th to March 22nd.

The book sale is being held April 6th – 14th at 300 Albemarle Square Shopping Center, 10am to 7pm each day.
(Audrey Ryan)

“The books will be sorted and then used for their [Friends of JMRL’s] monthly book sale, distributed to the libraries in our region, or given to charities in Virginia who are in need of children’s books,” FFA advisor Elizabeth Daney said. “I hope people in our community realize how easy it is to donate our unused books to the local library, instead of throwing them away.” 

At the Friends of JMRL book sale, a wide selection of books for all ages, including many different genres such as nonfiction, religion, fantasy, and classics are available for purchase. DVDs, CDs, games, and puzzles  were also sold at a discounted price. 

“I just love how many good books and other things that I find,” Hawley said. “And I always go with my friends which makes it even more fun.”