• April 29The Rolling Stones begin North American tour.
  • April 29Candace Parker retires from WNBA.
  • April 29Country singer,Zach Byran, gives aid to community after natural disaster.
  • April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.

Would you rather?; What would you add?

Kara Kotowski
Infographic made by Kara Kotowski on Canva showing the chart on the responses in the survey.

If you were given the  choice to add something to the school, out of the options of ‘add a new sport’, ‘add a new facility for a sport or club’, or ‘add a new CTE program’, what would it be? Out of a given survey, the majority of responses from both staff and students answered that they would rather have a new facility for a sport or a club over a new CTE program or a new sport.

Personally, I want to add a new sport. I’ve always had an interest in trying out lacrosse, and hope that one day it might appear as an option.

A new facility for a sport or club is a popular opinion because it can bring more people together as well as allow them to grow through skills and knowledge.

“I would add this [a new facility] because I feel like a lot of people could possibly benefit from it and I think it would be fun,” freshman Destiny Cutright said.

Because the question ‘Would you rather add a new facility for a sport or a club?’ has two sides, the majority of those, 6 out of the 11 people who answered, would add a new facility for a sport. Some of that group includes special education biology teacher Amy Wilson, English teacher Jennifer Ellis, and junior Nyah Straley. Both Wilson and Ellis would add new facilities for either an indoor track, a swimming pool, or both.

“Our school promotes athletics and having an indoor pool and track would encourage more students to get involved,” Wilson said. 

The other side of the question was if they wanted to add a new facility for a club and such people include freshman Jayden Criste, junior Mickenna Glass, and freshman Kassidi Fray, who wanted to add a facility for a club because of the diversity of clubs that it can bring.

Freshman Jayden Criste standing in the band room hall for a picture. (Kara Kotowski)

Criste made his own club, The Mystery Club, and wished it was in the library due to the library being a popular location. He hoped it would bring more attention to his club to help build participation,. With a new facility, The Mystery Club would be able to meet there as well as make more room for other clubs who struggle with the same needs for space.

The second most popular opinion on the survey was a new CTE program. 

The CTE programs that are offered at the school, such as the automotive technology classes and culinary, help set up students for future careers. With more CTE programs, students can further their education and decide for themselves what they want to do later in life.

“The country is in need of skilled workers, plumbers, electricians, HVAC technicians…all of these skilled trades have major needs,” TV and media teacher Kenneth Kilinski said.

TV and media teacher Kenneth Kilinski smiles at his desk for a photo.
(Deisy Siegrist)

Others, like sophomore Sadie Alvis, freshman Chloe Atchison, senior Julianna Slegar, and sophomore Elizabeth Palmer, would add a new CTE program to open more opportunities for future careers, such as the medical field.

“This could help to diversify the jobs people could preview before committing to learn,” Palmer said.

Inaugural article…Would you rather?  Submit a letter to the editor with future ideas!!