• May 3Cellular providers face lawsuits regarding alerts during Maui wildfires.
  • May 3Walmart issues recall on beef contaminated with E coli.
  • May 3Baseball and softball play Orange tonight.
  • May 2Federal Reserve decides not to increase interests rates.
  • May 2Girls and boys soccer faces off against Orange tonight.
  • May 2China to begin Chang'e 6 , a mission to collect data from the dark side of the moon.
  • May 1Joe Vogel,age 27, earns the title of youngest state delegate in Maryland history.
  • May 1Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 1Rare pigmentation causes golden retriever puppy to be born with green fur.
  • April 30Track will host meet tonight at 5 pm.

LCHS MVPS

LCHS+MVPS

The new MVPs have been awarded for the 2023-2024 school year. The MVP award is given to the most valuable educator and staffer of the year. Sarah Amick has been selected as the  educator of the year with April Pekary nominated for staffer of the year.

Amick is a social studies and government teacher, and a bus driver. She has been working for the county since 2004.

The Central Virginian

“If Mrs. Amick retired then we would have to hire four people to replace her,” principal Rodney Redd said. “She is that valuable to our school.” 

Amick never thought that she was fit for teaching, but she was always around it. Before she started teaching, she worked as a substitute teacher. After she was married, Amick earned her teaching degree. She put herself into a program where she could succeed and eventually became an MVP. 

“It’s pretty special because it was voted on by my peers… so that’s kind of cool,” Amick said.

Louisa County Public Schools

Pekary has been working in the technology department for three years. She fixes any technical and electronic related problems around the school. This is Pekary’s second year here and her first MVP award. 

“It is very hard to describe how much Mrs. Pekary impacts LCHS in one sentence, she is a valuable resource and she is always responsive,” Redd said. “I think that one of the most impressive things about her is that if I send her a message, or call her, she’s usually there at my door, in the auditorium, or wherever we need it within five minutes.”  

Pekary enjoys her job because of her colleagues and their encouragement. She recognizes that the MVP award shows that she is valued as a staff member. 

“Everyone here is like a big family,” Pekary said. “And I just love that aspect. My plans for next year are to stay here at LCHS. I wouldn’t want to work anywhere else.”