Local Exterior Solutions

• May 16JV and Varsity baseball plays Goochland tonight.
  • May 16Caitlin Clark's first game in WNBA breaks viewership records.
  • May 16Florida passes legislation that shifts energy focus away from addressing climate change.
  • May 15The senior scholarship ceremony will take place today.
  • May 15The 2024 NFL schedule will be released tonight.
  • May 15Senior graduation practice begins today and will continue through Friday.
  • May 13Varsity baseball plays John Randolph Tucker High School tonight at 6.
  • May 13Speech and debate state champions,Reese Merritt and Hannah Hearn, qualify for national competitions.
  • May 13Famous producer,Roger Corman, passes away at the age of 98.
  • May 10Senior scholarships and awards will be announced tonight.

Running With Family

Brice Wilson embracing his mom, Amy Wilson, in a hug after a meet.

Sophomore Brice Wilson became a state champion and All-American with the help of his number one supporter and most influential coach, his mom, Amy Wilson. Throughout the years, Coach Wilson has led her son through all of his races.

Brice has been a runner since he was young because all of his sisters went through track. He has been around track his whole life because Mrs. WIlson has been coaching track for 20 years and has been coaching at Louisa for 9 years. As an athlete, he has left his mark on Louisa County history. He holds the 800-meter record for middle school. Now, in high school, he runs indoor and outdoor track and his best events are 200, 300, 400, 500, and 800 meters. He also is a state champion and All-American in the 4×800 this year with a time of 7:58.83. His goal for next year is to become a State Champion and All-American in an individual event. 

“Brice Wilson is someone you can look up to on and off the track because of his attitude and the way he carries himself,” sophomore Gabrial Hurst said.

The 4×8 team posing for a picture after winning the State Championship.

Prior to becoming a teacher, she had done it all from veterinary work to maintenance work for construction. In 2004, her career switched, at Piedmont Christian School she became a teacher and at the school, she coached volleyball, soccer, and track. Mrs. Wilson is a special education biology teacher and a cross country and track coach at the high school. 

As an athlete, Mrs. Wilson was frequently injured and it affected her coaching by making her more cautious to see if the kid was actually injured or just another kid just wanting to skip practice. Ms. Wilson doesn’t give Brice any special treatment even though she sees every kid in the track program as her kid and that Brice only gets the brunt of everything.

“We have our good and bad days just like every other family, “Mrs.  Wilson said.  “But we try to get the best out of each other. And when we get in the car after a meet, I always need to remind myself to talk to him as his mom and not his coach.”

Mother, son duo, Amy and Brice Wilson posing for a picture after going Zip lining.

Mrs. Wilson and Brice share a special relationship while caring for each other on and off of the track. 

“I am most proud of him for helping teach the younger kids and being a good role model for them,” Mrs. Wilson said. 

Brice said that the biggest lesson his mom taught him is that if you lose technically you still win as long as you improve from previous times.

“Brice and Mrs. Wilson have a unique relationship because they have each other to rely on and they enjoy each other’s company outside of the track,” Hurst said. 

“My mom has helped me a lot in track,” Brice said. ”But when I see her at the track, I still just think of her as a mom.