Energy & Power students assist in build

Ten additional W.O.W. units roll out to bridge accessibility gap

Ashlynn Harding

These ¨Wireless On Wheels¨ machines seen throughout the county were created by LCPS technology, and now LCHS CTE students are joining the ranks to help bring even more internet accessibility to the community. 

Ashlynn Harding, Reporter

LCPS staff, with the help of some LCHS students, are proving that Louisa is truly “One Family,” and are making the most out of our new normal under our current circumstances. TeamLCPS is proud to share their latest innovative endeavor with the new W.O.W. units. These ¨Wireless On Wheels¨ machines seen throughout the county were created by LCPS technology, and now LCHS CTE students are joining the ranks to help bring even more internet accessibility to the community. 

“W.O.W. units were created to support the students and other community members by providing access to the internet and online connections during a time which has changed the world,” LCPS Technology Director, David Childress said. 

“I have no internet where I live, so it’s really a struggle to just do my work, so I use the W.O.W. units almost everyday I have school work,” senior Haden MacDougall said.

MacDougall feels that the ¨W.O.W. units are very useful and convenient to use, and the best parts of the W.O.W. units are that they are not usually crowded, but when they get busy, they go really fast and the whole experience is typically peaceful and fast.”  

Find these units located in popular locations from churches to grocery stores that sprawl across the rural locations of the county.

Neighboring counties are also developing similar devices because so many households in Central Virginia lack adequate internet. To connect to these convenient machines, you just have to be within reach of 200 feet. 

“The goal of the county is for students and other additional families to be aware of the W.O.W. units and how to operate them when needed,” LCPS Public Information Officer, Andrew Woolfolk said.

CTE students are currently building ten additional W.O.W. units to make reliable internet more accessible to LCPS students. 

Major Tom Bourne, along with his Energy & Power, and Materials & Processes classes, are also participating in building more units and expanding on their usage by giving them additional battery power to run about seven days without sunlight. 

“Just knowing that the units are going to go to good use and allow students to be able to complete their schoolwork made the idea of building them more interesting along with learning to wire electrical components,” senior Logan Self said. 

“Being able to help create something that will benefit the community is an excellent opportunity,” senior Tyler Layne said. 

LCPS is very pleased with the W.O.W. units, we are even more proud of community members for staying strong during these difficult times. Keep an eye out for W.O.W. units being wheeled into your area.