LCHS hosts #Team LCPS Pumpkin Carving Contest

Photo by Ellen Rosson

Senior Haley Rosson carves a few pumpkins to help advertise this year’s division-wide contest.

Ashlynn Harding, Reporter

Louisa County is getting into the festive fall season by hosting the first #TeamLCPS Pumpkin Carving Contest, hosted by LCHS.

LCHS is used to being the site for thousands of children in the community to come together for the annual Trunk or Treat event.

¨Even though we cannot hold our traditional Trunk or Treat due to safety concerns, we still wanted to bring the community together,¨ LCHS teacher Mackenah Roberts said.  

This contest is completely virtual and open for all ages and grades to participate in. Even though things are different now due to Covid-19, LCHS is still searching for ways to maintain the level of community involvement that makes the school and community One Family.

¨I am sad about changing up for the town’s tradition, but I understand that we are trying to be safe, and change isn’t always bad. At least this way we are still able to do something fun and active in our community, and who knows, maybe next year we will be able to mix both events together and start a new tradition in Louisa,¨ Trunk or Treat Coordinator, Peter Coen said. 

Each school in the division will have first and second place winners. Students K-12  have the chance to win. You have the chance to win Lion gear as well as gift cards and certificates from various places in or around Louisa. 

The goal of this contest is to be community-oriented and accessible for as many students and families as possible. LCHS hopes to partner with local businesses to offer special discounts and deals on pumpkins for the contest. Corner Market and More is officially offering 10% off of their $7 and $10 pumpkins. Any additional businesses or farms who are interested in partnering in the venture, please contact Mackenah Roberts at [email protected]

The submissions of your pumpkins can be sent in to Ms. Hicks at [email protected], by noon, Oct. 23. 

Voting will take place Oct.26-Oct. 30 at noon.

The final votes and announcements of the winners can be found at lchsnews.com by 3 p.m. Oct. 30. So go out now grab your friends, family, and pumpkins and get to carving!