YOVASO’s #DriveForChange campaign hosts contests

Enter your pumpkin and vote in the statewide sticker contest

Image courtesy of LCHS YOVASO

YOVASO is busy this school year finding ways to get students, parents and staff involved in their safe driving campaign.

Eleanor Pekary, Reporter/Photographer

YOVASO has been particularly busy this school year; on the heels of a statewide contest that ended Oct. 14, they are now holding a pumpkin-carving contest for kids and young adults alike.

YOVASO’s mission is to create better driving habits in young drivers, and they are striving to get students and the community involved as much as possible.

YOVASO’s carving contest is part of a statewide YOVASO initiative, and here in Louisa, it coincides with the #TeamLCPS pumpkin carving contest. Grab a couple pumpkins and enter both contests for double the chance to win prizes! While the #TeamLCPS contest is open to K-12, YOVASO’s contest is open for students ages 11-20 to enter, but all are encouraged to enter their pictures.

The YOVASO carving contest should incorporate a “Buckle up” or “Drive safe,” or otherwise a short message displaying safe driving. Share your YOVASO pumpkin on social media like Instagram and/or Facebook using the hashtag #ProtectYourPumpkin. The pumpkin will then be entered into the contest through this hashtag. Alternatively, the YOVASO website has a Pumpkin Carving Contest Entry Form, where entries can be submitted without social media. All entries for the contest are due Oct. 28 by noon.

From there, YOVASO will then choose 10 contenders for public voting via a Google form on Oct. 29 and 30. Public voters will be able to complete the form and choose which pumpkin they think suits the safe driving spirit. The voting form will be available on the 29 at 9:00 am, on the YOVASO Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages. Then, the top five pumpkins will then be awarded a $25 Amazon Gift Card.

To get kids more involved in the campaign this year, YOVASO introduced safe driving kits that students can get their hands on. The safe driving kit includes prizes like a coffee mug, stress ball, bracelet, pencil, and apple cider mix. These fantastic kits are being given away for FREE to those first 500 students who register.

“These make great gifts for that special teacher or staff member and a great way to share the Buckle Up and Slow Down message,” LCHS School Resource Officer, Deputy Carter Henley, said. There are a limited number of kits left, so contact Deputy Henley to check the availability of the Safe Driving Kits.

YOVASO recently held a statewide sticker contest to raise awareness to driving safety for new drivers across the state. The #DriverForChange sticker contest gave high schoolers across the state to get creative with the safe driving message, and design a sticker that incorporates a “slow down/ buckle up” message. These stickers are meant to influence teen drivers and encourage safe acts while driving, such as buckling up while in a vehicle, or slowing down and driving with caution.

The first place winner will receive a $100 check, as well as having the privilege of the artwork being used for the 2021 sticker, “Arrive Alive” Campaign. The four runner-ups will be granted a check for $25 for their contribution of artwork. Vote for your favorites by going to Yovaso’s Instagram or Facebook. Voting ends Oct. 24.

To get involved in the club, contact Deputy Henley at [email protected], or reach out to Mr. Johnson ([email protected]), or Sergeant Saranoski ([email protected]). Reach out to the student YOVASO Leadership team: Ali Downey, Carter Knight,  Taylor Sherry, Melissa Sluss, and Kahleah Wimmer to get involved.