Cheerleading welcomes two new coaches

The+cheerleading+program+is+undergoing+major+changes+this+year+including+the+incorporation+of+two+new+head+coaches.+

Mackenzie Wilson

The cheerleading program is undergoing major changes this year including the incorporation of two new head coaches.

Mackenzie Wilson, Editor-in-Chief

Among the many changes in the 2020-2021 school year, Louisa County High School cheerleading is also undergoing adjustments. A major change that is being seen this year is the combination of winter and fall sideline teams. 

Another addition to the cheerleading program is the inclusion of two new coaches. Coach Kelly Van Maenen is excited to join the coaching staff as the JV sideline coach. 

“The high school is the PRIDE of the county, and I am very much looking forward to being a part of that,” Van Maenen said. Van Maenen started her cheerleading career as an allstar cheerleader and eventually worked her way up to the collegiate level. 

On the competitive all-girl team at James Madison University, Van Maenen met her future colleague, Sarah Marshall. After college, Van Maenen joined FAME Allstars-VA Beach and competed on their 2009 Worlds team.

Van Maenen has some previous coaching experience with a JV sideline team at a high school from 2010-2011.

“Every game I have been to has been very well-attended, the school spirit is incredible, and the atmosphere is always so spirited,” Van Maenen said. “I hope COVID does not slow down that school spirit.”

A familiar face returning to the coaching staff is Coach Sarah Marshall. The Louisa alumn previously cheered alongside Van Maenen at JMU, as well as on the sideline and competition teams at LCHS. 

After coaching Louisa’s competition team from 2013-2017, Marshall is eager to return back to the mat. 

“Louisa has always had a lot of talent, and I look forward to helping the team continue to grow,” Marshall said. Along with being an assistant competition coach, Marshall is also taking over the head varsity coach role. 

“Cheerleaders make such a difference in the game experience, and I look forward to helping promote the overall game-day experience,” Marshall said. Even with the challenges that will be faced due to COVID-19, coaches and athletes are still grateful to (possibly) have the opportunity to cheer.

“Honestly, with how everything is this year, I am just thankful that I get to cheer my senior year,” senior Kylie Smith said. The new additions to our coaching staff are excited to face the challenges that will be experienced due to the pandemic. 

“I think everyone will have to think out-of-box, but if we do so, we can all still have seasons that provide the opportunity for future successes for all student-athletes,” Marshall said. 

“It will be a new way to think about cheerleading, for sure, but I hope the restrictions don’t restrict our school spirit and enthusiasm for being a part of a great program and opportunity,” Van Maenen said. 

Even with the new revisions to the cheerleading program, the 2020-2021 season will be one for the books.