Falling into the new School Year

Photo courtesy of Louisa County Public Schools

Ashlynn Harding, Chief Copy Editor

Fall, the time of year when the weather gets colder and the days get longer. The leaves aren’t the only thing changing this year, the students are too.

So much has changed due to Covid-19 and the transition back to school. In response, the staff and administration are finding their new “normalcy.” A support system has been set up for students. A variety of counselors and adults are available to talk about issues and struggles in the students lives, whether it is personal or academic. A community wide support system associated with the school called Region 10. 

Region 10 is a system of mental health services that involves middle and high schoolers, and incorporates counselors, therapy, and treatment.

“Region 10 is a very important and effective program for students. Their emotions are not always publicly shown while wearing the masks and they end up suppressing their feelings, and that’s why we try to talk to each student every morning to catch up on them because sometimes a happy face isn’t always the case,” Director of school counseling, Todd Ryan said. 

This year has changed everyone’s perspective and made them realize what they have missed and what they have to adapt to. LCHS is trying their best to get back to their new ¨normal.¨ The freshmen are experiencing a variety of emotions this year from being back to school for a full week instead of just two days.

“It’s stressful coming back to school because it’s a big difference from leaving middle school to entering high school. There are more people and a bigger building and it has an overall feeling that it’s a completely different environment,” a freshman said.

Most of the freshmen are having anxiety, and the school recognizes them. 

“A large number of students are experiencing these symptoms because they are used to experiencing personal isolation and now by being back in the main school they are developing signs of  anxiety from all the socialization,” Ryan said.

A positive impact of freshmen is that they have said that they enjoy being back for a full week because they can socialize more and have less homework. Unfortunately, that’s not the case for the school’s upperclassmen. 

“School work this year is making me stressed since I have to think about college, but my senior year hasn’t been that different from last year when dealing with the amount of assignments. It’s not as bad as I thought it would be since Covid but you just have to stay positive and stay on top of your work,¨  senior Makayla Blair said.

The seniors have been overly stressed with returning back to a five-day week because they are balancing school while preparing for their futures in jobs or colleges. 

Large group of seniors report feeling ¨mentally exhausted.” Seniors have said that they aren’t responding to the transition back in a positive manner. They miss not having Wednesdays off because they got a break but they are grateful for the asynchronous learning day every month. 

¨By coming back to school, kids are understanding the material better, are able to get better grades, and socialize more and make new friends,¨ freshman Kahlie Tate said. 

Perhaps the biggest benefits of coming back to school five days a week is the academic advancements. A major bonus to transitioning back into the school year is that we have been able to uphold a consistency in our routine. The developed regulations of mask mandates and social distancing are set up  so we are able to carry out our high school experience with a ¨new normal¨ instead of being forced to learn from home. 

Autumn leaves die and fall, but Covid made the students grow and change, making them stronger.