President Biden appoints new Supreme Court Justice

Photo by The Guardian: Rex/Shutterstock

This is soon-to-be supreme court justice, Ketanji Brown

Katelynn Jones, Reporter/ Photographer

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer plans to retire after the current term, leaving President Biden with an important decision on finding the most qualified replacement. 

During his campaign, Biden promised that his next Supreme Court Justice would be an African American woman. He stuck to his promise by choosing Ketanji Brown Jackson as the 116th Supreme Court Justice.

Before choosing on Friday, Feb.25, Biden was stuck between three candidates. Those three included Ketanji Brown Jackson, Leondra Kruger, and Michelle Childs. 

Jackson has a background of serving as a judge for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. Before that, she served as a Federal Trial Court Judge for eight years. Once confirmed, Jackson will also have the title of the first Supreme Court Justice to represent indigent criminal defendants, besides Thurgood Marshall. 

“She is one of our nation’s brightest legal minds and will be an exceptional Justice,” President Biden said.

Her admiration for law began as a child while watching her father study for law school. Jackson credits her success in law to her high school debate team, at Miami Palmetto Senior High School. 

During her high school career, she had the title of Class President and a top debater. She competed in oratory and interpretation; both more focused on the speech aspect compared to the debate aspect, giving her the ability to succeed in law.

Trips to Ivy League schools during Speech and Debate competitions laid the foundation for her hope to go to Harvard. She graduated with honors from Harvard College and Harvard Law School. During her career in college, she clerked for three federal judges, including Stephen Breyer.

“That was an experience that I can say without hesitation was the one activity that best prepared me for future success in law and in life,” Jackson said.