March celebrates Youth Art Month

Savannah Bragg, Reporter/ Photographer

During the month of March, thousands of American schools participate in Youth Art Month. Youth Art Month(YAM) is a month focused on promoting art and art education. 

In 1961, the Art & Creative Materials Institute(ACMI) started YAM with goals of educating the arts and empowering youth.

“Art education focuses on creativity, observation, communication and problem solving,” Art teacher Rebecca Massie said.

Over the course of this month, the students have participated in YAM by hanging art in the hallways and having a student art slideshow which aired on the televisions over the month. Artwork from the county was displayed in the public library. A spirit week was held including formal day, tie-dye day, and Bob Ross/favorite artist day.

“Youth art month is important for students who strive to have careers in the arts because it allows them a time to be appreciated and help develop skills they will need in college and beyond in terms of selecting work, getting it ready to display, and hanging the work along with others,” Art teacher Elizabeth McGinnis said.

The final big event was the Fine Arts Festival this past Saturday. The theme was a focus on African American artwork, art styles, and artists. The Fine Arts Festival has been an annual event since 1988. Because of COVID-19 the arts festival was not able to be held in 2020 and was virtual in 2021. 

“It was awesome and a huge success,” McGinnis said. “It also brought appreciation and awareness of the importance of art in the public school setting.”