“Years of change” senior sendoff

Emion Byers, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Our high school career has been everything but “normal.” We have been forced to face lots of new changes; ones that we could’ve never imagined we’d ever have to face. Some of those changes include social distancing and being forced to wear masks. Although these changes were tough to adapt to, we never let them stop us.

Everyone always says that your high school career is supposed to bring the best memories. After the pandemic, I started to have doubts as to whether everyone was going to be right. I always thought to myself, “how am I supposed to make memories with my friends, if we aren’t allowed to see each other?” From remote learning to shortened sports seasons, I’ve learned to face changes in many different ways.

Although the “most memorable time of my life” was not what I expected it to be, I wouldn’t change a thing. Most people look at the pandemic in a negative point of view. I’m not saying that the pandemic was the best thing that could’ve ever happened to me, but I do think that I’ve learned a lot from this time of change. 

If you know me, then you know that I have a strong will and don’t necessarily like change. Well if these past two years of my life have taught me anything, it is that change will test you and how you react to it will truly make or break you. 

As if COVID-19 wasn’t bad enough, in January of 2021, I broke my wrist during the middle of my basketball season. It was very hard having to sit back and watch my teammates play from the sidelines. At first I kept thinking, “why me?” but after winning the state championship, I found out why. God wanted me to slow down and soak up every memory, because they truly will last a lifetime. 

Fast forward to my senior year of basketball, and I ended up having to undergo surgery to remove my appendix. I took this news a little bit harder because I couldn’t believe I had to miss another season of basketball, especially my last season in high school. Thanks to all the support I received, I was able to step foot on the court and compete again before the season ended. It was hard having to sit on the sidelines again, but I was glad that I had the opportunity for a comeback.

I have learned a lot from my four years of high school. My main takeaway is that dreadful changes can later turn out to be life lessons. 

To the underclassmen, I hope that you all will choose to go out and make those memories, but remember to stay true to yourself and your values. Although my only “normal” year of high school was freshman year, I’ve still made the most of it and that’s what I hope all of you will do too.