Nina Fenster Commits to VMI

Nina+Fenster+takes+a+shot+on+goal+at+an+Western+Albemarle+game.++

Emmy Franklin

Nina Fenster takes a shot on goal at an Western Albemarle game.

Arianna Taylor, Editor-in-Chief

Junior Nina Fenster, transferred to Louisa, freshman year from Manassas, VA. Since then she has been a crucial player for the Lion’s girls soccer team, scoring three goals and six assists last spring. 

Fenster toured many colleges, but her heart landed on Virginia Military Institute. 

“When I visited VMI, I just knew this is the place I wanted to be at,” Fenster said. 

On Aug. 11, Fenster announced her commitment to VMI for women’s soccer. 

“I’m really excited to keep playing [soccer], especially at the Division 1 level” Fenster said. “The coaching staff and players are awesome and very welcoming”

Fenster’s humble attitude will benefit the team for the years she is enrolled.

“Nina is positive, all of her criticism on the field is constructive” assistant coach Patrick Miller said. “She’s good about getting everyone into a competitive mindset” 

VMI operates differently than a normal four year university. The 10-day training program, also known as “Hell week”, pushes students to the breaking point mentally and physically.

“I think VMI will keep me disciplined in a way that other colleges won’t be able to” Fenster said.

Through her commitment to VMI, Fenster plans to reach her end goal of joining the military. 

“I would like to commission into the military after college” Fenster said. “This is the first step to reaching that goal,” 

With this decision, Fenster is more excited for the next two seasons. 

“I feel that I perform better while relaxed, this takes a huge weight off my shoulders.” Fenster said. “I won’t have to worry about finding coaches to watch me, I can just have fun.” 

Miller believes that Fester will acclimate to college soccer quickly. 

“I think she will find herself competing for a position very early” Miller said. “She has the drive, athleticism and skill set to compete at that level” 

While reflecting on the past few years Fenster came up with advice for future generations. 

“Never give up” Fenster said. “If you want to do something, work hard and do it”