• May 3Cellular providers face lawsuits regarding alerts during Maui wildfires.
  • May 3Walmart issues recall on beef contaminated with E coli.
  • May 3Baseball and softball play Orange tonight.
  • May 2Federal Reserve decides not to increase interests rates.
  • May 2Girls and boys soccer faces off against Orange tonight.
  • May 2China to begin Chang'e 6 , a mission to collect data from the dark side of the moon.
  • May 1Joe Vogel,age 27, earns the title of youngest state delegate in Maryland history.
  • May 1Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 1Rare pigmentation causes golden retriever puppy to be born with green fur.
  • April 30Track will host meet tonight at 5 pm.

A surprising new transfer

Caleb Brady (middle) posing with two of his wide receivers, Jaden Davis (left) and Isiah Haywood (right). (Evan Capozella)

With a fresh team comes a fresh player from an unexpected place. Junior Caleb Brady is a Hawaiian transfer from the island of Oahu and is transitioning into the varsity football team.

“I like the community, and I like the atmosphere for football,” Brady said. “Everybody seemed very close and it is very serious here.” 

Brady’s home island is near to the major fires that happened in Maui.

“It’s tough, my prayers and thoughts go out to the families out there,” Brady said. “It’s a very unfortunate situation and everybody is praying for them.”

Coach Will Patrick has been working closely with Brady and has created a  strong relationship with him.

“[Our relationship] has grown tremendously,” Coach Patrick said. “The kid is a competitor and a warrior and is everything you want as a football coach.”

Senior Jaden Davis is working with Brady in a close quarterback-wide receiver relationship. They have to have the same mindset in order to perform well on the field. Quarterbacks and wide receivers can’t communicate while a play is going so they have to know what the other is going to do to be able to predict and be playmakers. 

“[Brady] is a good leader and makes great passes and has brought the team together and given something to look forward to,” Davis said. “He has great energy and is very liked and is a team player.”

The team has goals to be the best version of themselves this year and be leaders in the classroom, while Brady’s specific goals are to go undefeated and go to the playoffs. 

“It’s a young team and we are facing new teams so we will see what happens, but we will be good,” Brady said. 

With unfortunate rumors of Brady being hurt and not being able to play for his junior year, the team kept going. 

“He’s here to build something with me and we are going to build it together,” Coach Patrick said.