• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Varsity volleyball sets up for the season

Elliott Moreno
Sénior Hannah Ryan juega bloqueador central para el equipo universitario de Louisa Lions voleibol con un “plugar arriba como Straley.” Senior Hannah Ryan plays middle blocker for the Varsity Louisa Lions Volleyball team with a “Straley-thumbs-up”.

As a new year starts, a new season begins for volleyball to show how the team stepped up and worked together as a team. Players have helped their team grow and succeed with positive attributes.

Senior Regan Freas has been on the volleyball team since her freshman year and is excited for the new season.

“We have a lot of potential this season because we’re having new coaching and it’s a lot more together with the new players and talent,” Freas said.

The sport has allowed her to make meaningful connections with new girls because of the common interest of playing on the court they share.

Freas applauds Savannah Bragg and Elliott Moreno for their efforts on the team.

Senior Regan Freas reps her Louisa Lions Volleyball sweatshirt to show her love. (Karleigh Lundy)

“Savannah has been on the team with me since freshman year and has never brought anybody down,” Freas said. Regan appreciates Moreno’s determination to stay positive and persevere through games and practices.

Middle blocker and senior Hannah Ryan expects this season to go really well, even with a young team. Ryan would give an award to Alyssa Hopkins or Elliott Moreno if she had a chance. 

“Alyssa has really stepped up and taken a leadership role to help the new coach adjust to the team,” Ryan said. Ryan expressed how Moreno moved up to varsity and has adapted to the role fast, with a good attitude.

Ryan admires the fast pace of volleyball that keeps her moving, making her alert to the players and the ball around her.

“It’s very much the next point, next play, move on mentality,” Ryan said.

Coach Patrick Miller maintains a positive mindset, with hopes to have an outstanding season, coaching and watching the team form.

“This season is gonna have to be a rebuilding season because we’ve lost seniors and we’ve got new coaching and younger girls are stepping up,” Miller said.

JV Assistant coach, Patrick Miller, shows his positive attitude for the season with thumbs up. (Elliott Moreno)