• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Nebraska volleyball team set up a new record

Elliott Moreno
Canva image created and inspired by the Nebraska Huskers logo with the theme of volleyball.

Nebraska’s volleyball season starts off with a hit, breaking the world record for attendance at a women’s sporting event. They surpassed the record with a total of 92,003 people which was more than the record set by FC Barcelona and Wolfsburg in a Champions League match. It was not only a national record, but a world and NCAA record.

The match was unlike any other as it was set outdoors at Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, Nebraska, where they normally host their home football games. Nebraska played against Omaha, winning with a 3-0 score. Each set’s score was 25-14, 25-14, and 25-13

In an email interview, Nebraska’s own volleyball Director of Operations Lindsay Peterson described planning and attending the match.

“I think what we accomplished is just the beginning,” Peterson said. 

Additionally, Peterson predicts college volleyball matches will earn more recognition and attendance will continue to climb. 

In order to set the record they needed to find a location. The only venue that was big enough was Memorial Stadium.

“When we started the planning, we decided to make it a celebration of volleyball in our state,” Peterson said. 

The celebration and game made the experience a very exciting one, “almost surreal,” according to Peterson.

Varsity volleyball player Charlee Davis watched the match from home and saw it on social media.

Charlee Davis, a varsity volleyball player and fan smiling for her photo. (Elliott Moreno)

“I think it’s pretty crazy, and I think it’s really great for them,” Davis said.

Additionally, she related herself to that situation. Davis has played in front of an average-sized crowd, but never something so packed.

“I’d feel super overwhelmed and like excited,” Davis said. “It’s a whole football stadium full of people watching volleyball.”

Across the nation, college volleyball will gain traction and appreciation as an effect of this record. 

With all the hard work and dedication that was put into setting up and winning the match, it was fulfilling to see.

“I had tears in my eyes several times throughout the night,” Peterson said. 

From Nebraska, there hasn’t been anything planned to set up a match like this again, but it is possible other teams might adopt this idea. Athletics Secretary Amber Gibson thinks that more

Mrs. Gibson typing away at her desk early in the morning during school hours. (Elliott Moreno)

unexpected events might occur in the volleyball world.

“I think maybe they might even start doing that with championship playoffs,” Gibson said. “I don’t see them doing it all for their games, [being in outdoor stadiums] but maybe for playoffs.”

Athletes and fans anticipate seeing more as the season continues from Nebraska and other volleyball teams as things change. 

“I think the idea of having something new like that was cool with them, but I think you’re gonna see a lot more of it now,” Gibson said.