• March 4Caitlin Clark becomes all-time leading scorer in NCAA division one basketball.
  • March 4Eagles center, Jason Kelce, retires after 13 seasons in the NFL.
  • March 4Donald Trump wins Colorado ballot case.
  • March 1Texas experiences largest wildfire in state history, currently showing no signs of resolve.
  • March 1Varsity and JV softball will have pictures today.
  • March 1Varsity and JV baseball scrimmages are canceled.
  • February 29Former WWE wrestler, Michael Jones, passes away at 61.
  • February 29JV and Varsity baseball will have team pictures after school today.
  • February 29Comedian, Richard Lewis, passes away at the age of 76.
  • February 28Nike will be creating new uniforms for National Women's Soccer League.

Competitive Cheer Takes On Coach Kelly

Myles Mackie
Competition cheerleaders performing their routine at their Wednesday practice in the back gym.
Amaya Quarles in the back gym with the rest of the cheer team and coach Kelly close behind. (Myles Mackie)

Competion cheer has a new coach who wants the team to grow. Kelly Latham has been cheering for most of her life and brings a positive energy to the team.

Stepping in recently after former coach Sarah Marshall stepped down, Latham decided to take the role with her daughter’s support.

“My daughter is actually on the team,” Latham said. “She wanted me to come help coach and I reached out.”

Most of the squad’s members, including Coach Latham, have been cheering for years. They are open to having new members on the team and keen to teach new lessons to newcomers. 

“You can just email me, and I can give you all the information you need,”Latham said.  “Just go for it. A lot of people are nervous to try new things. I work with people with no experience and be prepared that it’s a lot more physical than people think.”

Junior Riley Leale is a flyer,

The Cheer team practicing another routine in the back gym two flyers on top. (Myles Mackie)

a person who is launched into the air by the other team. Leale trusts her teammates to catch her safely. Most of the team’s cheering routine involves flyers. 

“I get thrown up in the air,” Leale said. “Without the flyers there’s no really showy part of cheer.”

The cheer team puts in work to show off their stunts at pep rallies, games and competitions. Though the sport has its challenges, the cheer team finds excitement in their sport.

“Practices are very challenging and going to competitions and not knowing whether or not you are going to hit is probably the hardest part,” cheerleader Amaya del Carmen said.  “I’m excited for it. It’s my senior year so I feel like this year is the best year.”