• May 1Joe Vogel,age 27, earns the title of youngest state delegate in Maryland history.
  • May 1Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 1Rare pigmentation causes golden retriever puppy to be born with green fur.
  • April 30Track will host meet tonight at 5 pm.
  • April 30Georgia power plant, Vogtle, brings new nuclear reactor online.
  • April 30Four Zebras spotted in North Bend Washington after escaping from captivity.
  • April 29The Rolling Stones begin North American tour.
  • April 29Candace Parker retires from WNBA.
  • April 29Country singer,Zach Byran, gives aid to community after natural disaster.
  • April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.

Yearbook shows out with a Trophy Class

The+Yearbook+staff+posing+for+a+picture+with+their+trophy.+Courtesy+of+the+Yearbooks+Instagram.+
The Yearbook staff posing for a picture with their trophy. Courtesy of the Yearbook’s Instagram.
The winning Yearbook on display in the front of the school.

The Reflector Yearbook traveled to Harrisonburg this past weekend for the Virginia High School League (VHSL) Multimedia awards. 

They were evaluated by VHSL with a 14-page rubric that covered the areas of theme concept development & execution, coverage, design, photography, and writing. LCHS Yearbook brought home the Trophy Class Award for their Volume 54 “It’s in our Nature” yearbook. The Trophy Class Award is the equivalent to an athletics state championship.

They also won the 2022 Multimedia Championship with Volume 53 “Same Story Different Angle.” In the past years, Yearbook has won six Trophy Class Awards. 

The feedback that they received from VHSL listed their strengths and weaknesses. Their strongest area was coverage. 

Typography is what they scored lowest on which is minor things including captions. It was those minor edits that caused deductions. Overall, they scored high on everything else.

“This year, we are going to make sure that we make those minor edits,” Editor in Chief, Evie Bradford said.

One thing that has proved to work for the yearbook is leadership. Having people who have worked on the staff for multiple years and know what is expected of them make them good leaders for others. 

“Evie was very shy, but now she will go around the room and find things that I may have missed,” adviser Stacy Wildman said. 

During the awards, VHSL announced the First Class winners, before the Trophy Class and this had everyone on edge.

“When they announced the First Class winners my heart sank,” Wildman said. “I actually teared up this year, which hasn’t happened in any of the other of our six wins.”

The Volume 54 “It’s in our Nature” was a big hit with LCHS students. It showcased many different angles of the school. 

“I thought that it showed everyone’s story and it was very creative,” sophomore Ava Garrison said. 

Sophomore, Ava Garrison posing with her signature thumbs up.