Local Exterior Solutions

• May 13Varsity baseball plays John Randolph Tucker High School tonight at 6.
  • May 13Speech and debate state champions,Reese Merritt and Hannah Hearn, qualify for national competitions.
  • May 13Famous producer,Roger Corman, passes away at the age of 98.
  • May 10Senior scholarships and awards will be announced tonight.
  • May 10The Mental Health Awareness Walk has been postponed until May 20th.
  • May 10Girls varsity soccer plays Monticello tonight at 6:30.
  • May 9Baseball and softball play Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 9Vermont now requires fossil fuel companies to pay reparations for climate change.
  • May 9Severe weather claims multiple lives in southern states.
  • May 8Track will host meet today starting at 2.

Powderpuff brings the people of Lousia together

Ariana
Students pose for a picture in the student section during the sophomore and senior game.

Powderpuff brings people out to support the girls as they switch out of traditional roles and get their time to shine.

“I think it gives the girls a chance to feel what it feels like [football games] Friday night lights,” senior Nina Fenster said.

Sophmores get together in a huddle before the game to talk strategy and encourage each other. (Julianna Minor)

Powderpuff provides students and their families with a good time outside the stress of school and work, showing the sportsmanship and compassion in the players and the supporting audience.

“Powderpuff does an excellent job of bringing more people together; people who really care about the Louisa community and people who really care about the people beside them,” senior coach and co-head organizor, Lawton Rowan said.

This is a game that is all about teamwork and sportsmanship. This game makes special

Freshman and juniors high five, after the game, while juniors celebrate their first win of the night. (Ariana Varga)

memories and friendships that students will have for the rest of their lives.

“I think it is a fun team bonding experience you can have with friends and it just helps you build relationships with people,” junior Megan Hyer said.

The players said that powderpuff has a positive impact on not only the school, but the people who choose to come out and support the girls.

“Everyone’s out there just trying to have a good time and I think that’s super positive for everyone,” Fenster said.

Powderpuff is a fundraiser for The Reflector Yearbook and an opportunity for girls who don’t get the chance to play football. 

“Powderpuff has kinda turned into a tradition for the county,” Rowan said, “and it’s really just been a way for individuals who don’t necessarily have the opportunity to play football whether that be physical limitations or so it’s just been a great fundraiser and a way for us to have fun and just create a better culture in Louisa.” 

Student coaches take time out of their schedules to help guide and encourage players. This creates a very positive environment that allows for the players and all involved to have fun.

[Coaching] “It makes me feel good, especially not just us as men playing it, seeing girls play it too,” freshman and coach Jahiem Jackson said.

Isabella Antigo encourages the cheerleaders to cheer for the seniors after the juniors score again. (Ariana Varga)

Coaches and students think the girls put in a lot of effort to practice and train to earn the win. Some believe that all of this is just a game not to be taken so seriously.

“Everyone puts in the work that they need to do,” Hyer said, “and at the end of the day it’s just for fun, so if no one can remember the plays then it’s not that big of a deal.”