• March 4Caitlin Clark becomes all-time leading scorer in NCAA division one basketball.
  • March 4Eagles center, Jason Kelce, retires after 13 seasons in the NFL.
  • March 4Donald Trump wins Colorado ballot case.
  • March 1Texas experiences largest wildfire in state history, currently showing no signs of resolve.
  • March 1Varsity and JV softball will have pictures today.
  • March 1Varsity and JV baseball scrimmages are canceled.
  • February 29Former WWE wrestler, Michael Jones, passes away at 61.
  • February 29JV and Varsity baseball will have team pictures after school today.
  • February 29Comedian, Richard Lewis, passes away at the age of 76.
  • February 28Nike will be creating new uniforms for National Women's Soccer League.

Spencer shaping young minds

Louisa County High School’s Career and Technical Education (CTE) classes help shape students for potential careers that they are interested in. Classes including things such as business, automotive, and agriculture all fall under the CTE program.

Another subject that is taught is Health Science. Many students coming from middle school have an interest in this class because of the things that it offers.  

“I’ve always wanted to go into the medical field so seeing that the high school gave me an opportunity to learn about health and medicine was great,” sophomore Addison Talley said.

The Introduction to Health and Medical Science prepares students to take Nurse Aide I&II. The Nurse Aide class consists of real medical experience and is taught by Nicole Spencer and Christy Bundrick. 

Spencer has been involved in the Louisa community for about 7 years. First, she started at Jouett Elementary School as a nurse before moving to the middle school to fill that position. She now teaches the next generation the skills needed to be successful in the medical field such as understanding different types of diseases. 

“I liked working with elementary schoolers because they look at you like you’re a superhero and I also liked that in middle school because you could help the students transition from being a kid to an adult,” Spencer said. “I have to say that teaching has been my favorite because I can show people what I’m passionate about.”

Spencer teaches Introduction to Health and Medicine Science, which many people who are thinking about going into Nurse Aide take. She takes these students and teaches them all they need to know for Nurse Aide.  Through her time as a teacher, she has impacted students’ lives. She has taught them the necessary skills to excel in what they are doing. This is the whole point of the CTE program, and she is a prime example of what students need in a teacher.

“She was my teacher for Intro as well, so she taught me everything that I needed to know for Nurse Aid,” Nurse Aide student Tessa Smith said. 

Throughout this journey, Spencer has affected many people’s lives. This was shown when she was awarded the MVP of the Year award in 2022 when she was at the middle school.

“She’s really supportive and able to walk us through the skills we need,” Smith said.

Spencer has also been involved with cheerleading. She is the coach of the JV fall cheerleading team and has been coaching since she was at the middle school. 

“I like coaching because you can connect with the kids on a different level,” Spencer said. “Not just on a teacher level but on an athlete level.” 

Many of the cheerleaders have been with Spencer since they were little. They have been able to grow up and learn with her. 

Senior, Tessa Smith showing Governor Glenn Youngkin medical skills that were learnt in Nurse Aide
Freshman, Londyn Hart who is a JV Cheerleader, poses in the hall.

“She has been my coach since I was six or seven years old, so she has seen me grow up,” JV cheerleader Londyn Hart said. “She made my first year of cheerleading easier.”