• April 15JV baseball plays Powhatan tonight at 5:30.
  • April 15Boys and Girls soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • April 15Scottie Scheffler wins Masters a second time.
  • April 12LCHS Prom will be held tomorrow at 7-10 pm.
  • April 12JV baseball plays Courtland tonight at home.
  • April 11US strengthens ties with Japan after state visit.
  • April 11Postal service 1st class stamp prices increase again.
  • April 11The Masters will begin today, first tee time scheduled at 10:30am.
  • April 10High pollen levels present today.
  • April 10Renowned physicist,Peter Higgs, passes away at age of 94.

Boys Ready to Serve

Photo+of+the+Butter+ball+poster+seen+around+the+school+hallways.+
Gracen Tate
Photo of the Butter ball poster seen around the school hallways.

Coming on December 14th, “The Lion’s Roar”  is holding the second annual Butterball tournament. Butterball is a boys’ volleyball tournament between grade levels, and this year an overflow team and a mystery team will be added. 

“It’s just a fun way to be with friends and have a little bit of competition between other kids at school,” senior William Moore said. “It’s fun to compete against other grade levels, some of the other athletes.”

The tournament benefits the newspaper and the community. At least 15% of the money raised will be donated to the Louisa Resource Council to help bring Christmas dinners to local families. This year, there will be a 50/50 raffle, meaning the winner of the raffle gets 50% of the raffle money. 

In the competition, there is a spread of four years between the freshman and the seniors. The seniors are expected to have more knowledge and overall size over the younger grades. Freshman coach, and girl’s volleyball player, Taryn Waddy admitted that the younger grades have a disadvantage when it comes to height, but she has plans. 

“I feel like that if we can get a good technique to get around it,” Waddy said. “I think it’s gonna be pulled off at the last one.” 

The seniors may have a competition this year led by the proud juniors coach, Jillian Kegley.

“The junior squad is very talented,” Kegley said. “The juniors will definitely win this year.”

This year, the seniors are more willing to participate, filling the ten-man roster and having the majority on the overflow team. A group of seniors have even been practicing over the summer including a scrimmage against a travel team. 

“We crushed them,” senior Hayden Pugh said. 

Seniors Hayden pugh (standing) and Joshua Morgan (sitting) posing together in the hallway ready to win. (Gracen Tate)

The seniors are favored to win this competition with their height advantage over the younger classes. 

“It’s gonna be a cakewalk,” senior Joshua Morgan said. “No one’s gonna stand a chance against the seniors.” 

Senior Joshua Morgan measured the tall height of fellow teammate Hayden Pugh, the tape measuring reading seven feet. (Gracen Tate)

The seniors are confident that they will crush the underclassmen, but will they be able to hold up against the mystery team?