• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Beyoncé Takes on Country

Image made by Emma Ryan using Canva

Beyoncé is back with a new album, “Renaissance Act II.” This album marks a milestone in her decades-long career as Beyoncé is trying out country in the second installment in her “Renaissance” trilogy albums. 

Beyoncé teased the album on February 11 during the 58th Super Bowl, when she was featured in a Verizon commercial. It was later confirmed via Instagram and on her website that “Renaissance Act II” would be coming out March 29. She dropped two singles from the album, “Texas Hold ‘Em” and “16 Carriages.” Fans are anticipating Beyoncé’s new album and are excited to hear her take on a new genre.

Senior Briella Hill poses in the hallway for a picture after talking about Beyoncé’s new album
(Emma Ryan )

“I think that country is definitely new for her and I’m excited to listen to it,” freshman Madison McLaughin said. 

One of the lead singles from the album “Texas Hold ‘Em” has turned into a viral sensation with many dances based on the song. The song debuted on the number two spot on the Billboard Hot 100 and has since then reached number one .

“I thought that “Texas Hold ‘Em” was really good, and it gives a sneak peek of what the rest of the album will look like,” senior Briella Hill said. “I’m so excited for it because it’s the best of both worlds. I love country, and I love Beyoncé.”

Country music has become increasingly popular in the past years with many new breakout artists such as Lainey Wilson and Connor Smith. While many fans are nervous by Beyoncé’s genre shift, Hill is interested to see how it will impact the country music genre. 

English teacher Katie Barnes poses for a photo in her classroom (Emma Ryan )

“I think the release of Beyonce’s country album is just another representation of artists expressing creative freedom in genre changes,” Hill said. “I think that some people are gonna be really mad about it because it’s not her usual genre.”

English teacher Katie Barnes believes that many Beyoncé fans will be introduced to country who have not listened to it before, and country fans will be listening to a new genre from Beyoncé’s previous R&B and pop albums.  

“I feel like it’s definitely going to draw attention to the country genre from a wide range of people who haven’t given it attention in the past,” Barnes said.