• April 29The Rolling Stones begin North American tour.
  • April 29Candace Parker retires from WNBA.
  • April 29Country singer,Zach Byran, gives aid to community after natural disaster.
  • April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.

Lights, Camera, Action

The 2024 Oscars (Academy Awards) was held on March 10th at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, California. Jimmy Kimmel hosted this year’s 96th Academy Awards which welcomed famous actresses, actors, filmmakers and more to sit and have a chance to win an award.

The Oscars held awards for: best picture; actor and actress in a leading role; actor and actress in a supporting role; costume design; directing; film editing; makeup and hairstyling; music (original score and song); sound; visual effects; and more.

Picture made by Melinda Staudinger on Canva, showing Oscars trophy

“Best supporting actor or actress is my favorite,” English teacher Meredith Williamson said. “I really like seeing the recognition of someone who was not the star of the movie, but can steal the show.” 

The Oscars showed the “Barbie Movie” lots of love as it highlighted two performances that were songs in the movie. “I’m just Ken,” by Ryan Gosling and “What Was I Made For,” by Billie Eilish were performed. “What Was I Made For,” left the night with an award for best original song. 

“I was surprised by Eilish’s win for the song,” sophomore Liza Middlesworth said.  “I enjoyed it but didn’t think it was going to win over Gosling’s song because of how much he blew up on social media.”

Sophomore Elizabeth Middlesworth stands in the second floor hallway smiling for a picture (Melinda Staudinger)

Parties are held, food is eaten, and ballots are written out. The Oscars is an event that is watched all over the U.S. People host parties that highlight guessing the winners of each category. Some students in the school hosted parties similar to this and participated in the event. 

“Our family fills out ballots guessing the winners and as the night goes on we cross off the category if we got it wrong, the winner gets their own miniature Oscar,” junior Audrey Fletcher said.