• May 20Heavy fog and low visibility will be experienced in morning hours.
  • May 20Tomorrow will be 1st and 3rd period exams.
  • May 20Red Lobster files bankruptcy.
  • May 17Graduation will be held indoors today, begins at 6:30.
  • May 17North Carolina debating bill that could potentially ban wearing masks in public.
  • May 17Texas hit by wave of severe weather.
  • May 16JV and Varsity baseball plays Goochland tonight.
  • May 16Caitlin Clark's first game in WNBA breaks viewership records.
  • May 16Florida passes legislation that shifts energy focus away from addressing climate change.
  • May 15The senior scholarship ceremony will take place today.

Same girl, New ending

Gracen Tate posing for a senior photo in Myrtle Beach, Sc. Image made using Canva.

When people ask me where I’m from or what my hometown is, I’ll tell them “Louisa,” but even though Louisa is technically my “hometown,” it’ll never be home to me. My roots are not in Louisa County, but instead planted in Cumberland and Powhatan. I moved to Louisa in the summer of 2018, right before my 7th grade year. My parents decided it was time for a change and a chance to find better opportunities for my younger brother and I. 

Louisa has given me so many new opportunities to learn, grow and better myself. I completed the Teachers For Tomorrow program and I’m now an Instructional Assistant (IA) at Trevilians Elementary School. 

I remember walking in the halls junior year and being chased down everyday about how I should join the school newspaper. Towards the end of the school year, I caved in and turned in an application for my senior year. To no one’s surprise, I got in. Even though this class got stressful at times, I would still take it all over again if I had the chance. I’ve made so many great memories and met some truly amazing people, I wouldn’t trade my time there for anything. The friends I made in Louisa are like family to me, and the bonds I made in the newspaper class are unbreakable and will last a lifetime. 

Even though I miss my family and old friends, I have made my own family here, filled with the people I love and care about. I hope to stay in contact with them even after our paths split. 

As the countdown to graduation/the end gets closer and closer, everything starts to feel bitter-sweet. The excitement I once had for growing up has started to turn into sadness. And the nostalgia hits harder than ever, making everything start to feel all too real. I’m no longer the shy, mud-covered, big blue eyed, blonde haired little girl I once was. I’m growing up, coming into my skin and stepping into my future. I still have the same ambition and optimism for the world and that’s something that will never leave me. No matter what, my heart will always stay the same.

So, even though I won’t be walking across the stage in blue and gold like I had always thought, I will instead be walking with green and gold pride.