• May 20Heavy fog and low visibility will be experienced in morning hours.
  • May 20Tomorrow will be 1st and 3rd period exams.
  • May 20Red Lobster files bankruptcy.
  • May 17Graduation will be held indoors today, begins at 6:30.
  • May 17North Carolina debating bill that could potentially ban wearing masks in public.
  • May 17Texas hit by wave of severe weather.
  • May 16JV and Varsity baseball plays Goochland tonight.
  • May 16Caitlin Clark's first game in WNBA breaks viewership records.
  • May 16Florida passes legislation that shifts energy focus away from addressing climate change.
  • May 15The senior scholarship ceremony will take place today.

Two Sport Athlete: Jayden Thompson

Jayden Thompson on the baseball field

Jayden Thompson is a sophomore and two-sport athlete at the high school, playing baseball and track. Jayden’s dad was an all-state athlete in shot put. Jayden is soon following in his footsteps as he has made it to states for shot put. Jayden has played baseball his whole life and is now a shortstop on varsity.

“Baseball always comes first but then after baseball practice, I go to track practice,” Jayden said. 

It’s Jayden’s 13th year playing baseball. His dad got him into the sport when he was young which made him fall in love with the game. He always wanted to do what his dad did. Jayden started track last year when his dad became the coach. Terrel Thompson used to do shot put and baseball at the same time just like Jayden.

“Being a student-athlete has its downsides, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world,” Jayden said.

Jayden now has to tackle school, baseball practice, and track practice, all in one day.  

“Just staying committed and staying disciplined to go to both practices every day is the hardest part,” Jayden said.

Terrel Thompson is the ISS supervisor at the high school and he coaches shot put.

“Doing shot put was just something that he did just because I did it and because I was the coach. I don’t think that he would have done it if I wasn’t out there. And for him to actually excel in it is pretty cool to watch,” Terrel said.

Terrell challenged Jayden this year to get all A’s and that is just what Jayden did. Jayden has been an honor roll student his whole life, except for his freshman year. 

“His grades are good,” Terrel said. “He’s gotten all A’s this year, which I kind of challenged him to at the beginning of this year. I mean, he’s always had decent grades. He’s got a 3.5 [GPA], but in his freshman year, he got a C. I told him I challenged him, ‘You need to get all A’s’, and he’s done it. So that’s good for him.”

Jayden’s mom, Kristi Thompson, also works at the high school as a Special Education teacher. 

Jayden has three other siblings; Jordy, Bonnie, and Brianna Thompson. 

“When he was younger he was good. He looked out for his brother and his sisters,” Kristi said. 

Jayden is looking forward to his next track and baseball season with his dad. Jayden has looked up to his dad his whole life. 

“To follow in my dad’s footsteps is definitely the goal,” Jayden said. “I want to try to be better than him,”

Jayden’s dad plays a big role in his life. He has always looked up to his dad as a role model. 

“I would say his dad is his role model, he likes doing sports like his dad did,” Kristi said.

Jayden has always played for Louisa with a lot of travel baseball on the side. 

“Being able to see the different types of people that come out and watch us play and support us is my favorite part about playing here,” Kristi said.