Cross Country hits the ground running

Girls+cross+country+runners+run+in+a+Goochland+meet.+

Photo courtesy of Amy Wilson

Girls cross country runners run in a Goochland meet.

Lucy Campbell, Reporter/Photographer

It’s 8:00 am on a Saturday morning, the crisp, fall breeze hits their faces, but that is not stopping the cross country team. 

This is not senior Nicholas Emmert’s first time waking up early to hit the trails. For the past seven years, this has been his life, and he has gotten better every day.     

“It [cross country] created a good work ethic in me. I’ve learned how to balance work, school, and practice everyday,” Emmert said. 

Before a meet, the team always listens to music and eats good food, including pasta and a bunch of carbs. 

“For me, I especially like to eat potatoes before a meet,” said junior Caroline Chapman. 

Healthy eating is important for runners, but athletes still enjoy a fun meal after a race. 

“When I make a new record and beat my time, I go celebrate with a milkshake,” said sophomore William Moore. 

Even though the team celebrates, they still have to keep practicing everyday. A 5k may be a tall order for most, but not the cross country team. Chapman’s goal for this season is to run the 5k under twenty-one minutes. 

“The way that I’m going to do that is to take my training at practice to the next level. I want to really push myself at practice because that is the only way I will get stronger,” said Chapman. 

Despite the pandemic, the cross country team is still working hard and succeeding. Last year, Emmert was the VHSL State Champion for the 1600 Meter Run, and this year he looks to repeat that success.

For Moore, this is only his second year at LCHS and last year was spent at home due to the Covid -19 Pandemic. 

“This year is different because we got moved to a new region this year and there are a lot more teams,” said Moore. 

Those challenges aren’t going to get in his way with his goal for the season being to run the 5k under 17 minutes. 

No matter what happens, there is nothing that is going to be able to stop this team.