Three Swimmers Succeed at States

Senior+Dyllan+Hartman+placed+8th+at+States+and+has+been+swimming+for+six+years.+

Photo courtesy of Louisa Lions Athletics

Senior Dyllan Hartman placed 8th at States and has been swimming for six years.

Landon Wilson, Reporter/Photographer

In Late February, three athletes from the swim and dive team competed at St. Catherine’s School for the Class Four State Meet. All three placed within the top 17, while breaking some of their own personal records.  

Senior Dyllan Hartman placed 8th at states while competing in the 50 meter freestyle and 100 meter freestyle. Swimming for six years in a row has helped him break several school records and qualify for states the first time in his career. Hartman broke the 50 meter freestyle, 100 meter freestyle, 200 meter freestyle, and the 100 meter fly record, along with multiple relay records. 

“It was definitely a good feeling, because I finally made it and I went out on a strong note,” Hartman said. 

Junior Cole Owens competed at states, swimming the 100 meter back event. He broke the school record with a time of 57.5 seconds. Owens placed 17th, which is one spot away from making it back to finals. All the hard work has paid off, as he made his first appearance at states this year. 

“It felt rewarding, I’ve been swimming so long, and it helps show how far I’ve come as an athlete,” Owens said. 

Sophomore Grace Hobbs placed sixth in the state for one meter diving. She has been diving for three years, and this was her first appearance at states. Hobbs completed an 11 dive sequence which racked up a total of 141 points. Her favorite dive consists of the back somersault tuck. 

“I was excited to make states, but it was very nerve racking,” Hobbs said. 

This past season all three were successful. The future looks bright as they have two young returners looking to qualify for states again.