Myrtle Beach Baseball Recap

Landon Wilson, Reporter/Photographer

Over spring break, the varsity baseball team traveled to Myrtle Beach to participate in the Mango Bay Baseball Tournament. They finished with three wins and one loss after playing teams from all over the east coast. 

In the first game, they took on the Horsehead Raiders from New York. Lucas Cash pitched a shutout with 14 total strikeouts in the game. On the offensive side, Ryan Toney hit a solo homerun in the fourth, starting a rally. The Lions ended up winning with a score of 4-0. 

“It felt good getting the first homerun of the season out the way,” Toney said. “He gave me a good pitch down the middle and I just hit it.” 

For the second game, the Lions took on Myrtle Beach High School who was hosting the tournament. Shane Dunkum pitched 6 innings while striking out 10 batters and giving up three runs. Codey Batten took over the mound in the 7th inning to close the game. Evan Straley, Sean Karney, and Toney each had two hits that game, knocking in most of the runs. The Lions won the second game 8-3.

The third game was against Forest Park from Wood bridge, Virgina. Forest Park came out hot, scoring three runs in the first inning and seven runs in the fourth. The Lions scored three runs all game until the bottom of the 7th when they scored three more. Forest Park won 13-6, causing Louisa to lose their first game. 

The last game Louisa played was against Glenn High School from North Carolina. Codey Batten started on the mound and limited the other team to only a few runs. Jacob Fifer came in to relieve Batten to close out the game. Louisa hit the ball well, scoring 13 runs early in the game. Glenn High School only responded with three total runs and the game ended in the 5th due to a slaughter rule. The Lions ended the last game with a score of 13-3. 

“It was good for the team seeing new pitchers and competition,” Cash said. “The tournament went well with us being 3-1 during the week. We played better than we did in previous beach trips.”