Fine Arts Festival is back!

+Art+made+by+senior+Elise+Bennett

Casey Little

Art made by senior Elise Bennett

Casey Little, Writer/Photographer

A tradition that was previously shutdown is coming back and the excitement is bubbling. The Fine Arts Festival is a way to showcase the many artistic talents our county has to show. 

With about 250 pieces of artwork coming from the high school alone, and another 500-700 more pieces from Thomas Jefferson (TJES), Trevilians (TES), Jouett (JES), Moss-Nuckols Elementary School (MNES) and Louisa County Middle School (LCMS), the Fine Arts Festival is taking over LCHS’s cafeteria and the main gym on April 1, 2023, from 10:00 a.m. till 2:00 p.m. This year, the theme for the Fine Arts Festival is Instillation: Transforming Spaces. Installation art is a mix of media constructed and designed for either a temporary period of time or specific placement.

Art teachers from each school are in charge of every aspect of the festival from the set up to the operations of the official day. The art teachers in charge for LCHS is Alexandra LaBarr and Abigail Young, from LCMS is April Lee, from MNES is Erin Ward, from JES is Elysa Harris, from TES is Rosa Lee Fry, and from TJES is Rodrick Rhodes. 

“I love seeing all of the students and teachers coming together to celebrate our passion with the community,” Young said. 

All the Makers Stations are back including ceramic wheel-throwing, marbling clay tiles, mural painting, making origami, Twisted Mountains, and painting with robots. The Makers Stations are different hands-on art activities to increase the fun of festival for kids of all ages. Food and beverages will be sold by the Marching Lions as a fundraiser, and National Art Honor Society (NAHS) will be holding a face painting fundraiser as well. 

Each school will feature musical performances starting at 10:00 a.m. with TES, 10:20 a.m. featuring the LCMS Band, 10:40 a.m. with the LCMS Auditioned Chorus, 11:00 a.m. with the TJES Beginning Band, 11:20 a.m. including the JES Third Grade Chorus, 11:40 a.m. with MNES, and 12:00 p.m. with the LCHS Band. 

“I am really excited to be a part of the Fine Arts Festival this year,” LaBarr said. “We will have work set up in the main gym, the largest display at the high school to date and have art stations set up in the cafeteria. It’s bigger than it’s ever been this year!”