• May 1Joe Vogel,age 27, earns the title of youngest state delegate in Maryland history.
  • May 1Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 1Rare pigmentation causes golden retriever puppy to be born with green fur.
  • April 30Track will host meet tonight at 5 pm.
  • April 30Georgia power plant, Vogtle, brings new nuclear reactor online.
  • April 30Four Zebras spotted in North Bend Washington after escaping from captivity.
  • April 29The Rolling Stones begin North American tour.
  • April 29Candace Parker retires from WNBA.
  • April 29Country singer,Zach Byran, gives aid to community after natural disaster.
  • April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.

Mrs. Oyler beginning her new role as assistant principal

Assistant+Principal%2C+Melissa+Oyler+welcoming+students+from+the+second+lunch+block+back+to+their+third+period.+
Maya Akram
Assistant Principal, Melissa Oyler welcoming students from the second lunch block back to their third period.

Assistant Principal, Melissa Oyler discusses an issue with a student and works on resolving it.

New administrators and teachers join the Louisa community yearly, and this year Melissa Oyler joined the Lions. She is the new Assistant Principal overseeing the Special Education department. 

Oyler has been in the education field for 17 years. She began her career in middle school as a US history teacher, and the next 8 years were spent as a middle and high school teacher. After that she was a Student Advancement Coach which is an educational specialist that works with students that struggle with school. Three years before joining Louisa, she served as an Assistant Principal at Hopewell High School. 

“My goal at LCHS is to serve and support all staff and students!” Oyler said. “I want to support our students as they navigate through their high school years and help them prepare for a successful future after high school.”

The last administrator, Dr. Christian, held Oyler’s position. Patrick Miller, a teacher who will be working with Oyler closely as a SPED biology teacher, spoke on how Dr. Christian was good at her job and how she left big shoes to fill. Miller also said that Oyler has proved more than capable of taking over this position. 

“She seems like a very professional and kind person and I am excited to continue working with her,” Miller said.

Although Oyler is new to the school, she is not new to the community. She and her husband moved to Lake Anna about 2 years ago, while working in another division.

“When we moved to the lake, we heard what a wonderful place it was to live and work,” Oyler said. ” I was told by every single person I spoke to how amazing the school system was, and how supportive the community was. So I kept an eye on the division website and waited for an administrative position to open up so I could apply.”

New Assistant Principal, Melissa Oyler stands near her new office and greets students with a welcoming smile.

Oyler mainly works with the Special Education Department, and works with all members of the school as an Assistant Principal. 

“She was very bright and well rounded due to her experience at different schools,” Principal Rodney Redd said. “I think that she will be a great addition overall to our school, not just in her role as assistant principal.”