• May 2Federal Reserve decides not to increase interests rates.
  • May 2Girls and boys soccer faces off against Orange tonight.
  • May 2China to begin Chang'e 6 , a mission to collect data from the dark side of the moon.
  • May 1Joe Vogel,age 27, earns the title of youngest state delegate in Maryland history.
  • May 1Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 1Rare pigmentation causes golden retriever puppy to be born with green fur.
  • April 30Track will host meet tonight at 5 pm.
  • April 30Georgia power plant, Vogtle, brings new nuclear reactor online.
  • April 30Four Zebras spotted in North Bend Washington after escaping from captivity.
  • April 29The Rolling Stones begin North American tour.

Barbie: The Article

Kei McCowin
Senior Gracen Tate showing finger hearts in front of her computer for the Barbie movie.

Barbie Land has any Barbie a person can think of: President Barbie, Weird Barbie, and Stereotypical Barbie. Of course Barbie isn’t Barbie without Ken, so Barbie Land has every version of Ken and… one Allen.

Senior Gracen Tate posing in the Barbie themed isle inside of Walmart. (Gracen Tate)

Barbie Land is a fictional place outside of the real world where all the Barbies live in the new “Barbie” movie.

Barbie falls into a midlife crisis where she has flat feet and she’s feeling real and unusual emotions. Barbie wants to see the real world, but, in doing so, she realizes the real world is nothing like Barbie Land. It’s run by men. After Barbie comes to that realization, her entire world turns to chaos. The Kens take over Barbie Land. However, after some persistence, in the end, things do work out for Barbie, and Barbie Land is saved.

Feminism is a topic that isn’t touched on too often in the film industry, so to say people were excited about the representation is an understatement. 103 students were surveyed on what they thought about the new movie.  There were lots of positive responses from different students about what they thought and the meaning behind it. They have said that the movie provokes many emotions while also being comedic.

I loved seeing a positive representation of what feminism is on the big screen. I can really tell that a lot of love went into the film, it feels like something everyone involved loved creating.

— 12th grade young lady

Even though the movie does have more of a set demographic the movie isn’t just for women. The movie is for everyone to watch and enjoy.

I like how realistic it was when it came to gender stereotypes in the real world but I also like Barbie land where everything is basically run by women.

— 12th grade young man

Students were also surveyed on how the movie made them feel, most of the responses were very emotional. Some students said that they cried while watching the film, while others said they couldn’t stop laughing. Most students thought the movie was a hit.

The movie made me feel proud to be a female and to have the right to have a say in this public society.

— 12th grade young women

Even though there are many positive thoughts about the movie, not everyone is on the same page. Some students say the movie was a waste of time and not enjoyable. They said it wasn’t up to the hype, that it was overrated and boring.

I feel like it was overrated. Everyone was so excited about it. I feel like the movie was all about feminism and how ken can be ken without barbie and how he doesnt need barbie to be himself.

— 9th grade young lady

Overall people say the movie feels very nostalgic and comforting.

It really made me think about me and my moms relationship and how important it is to be a kid.

— 12th grade young lady

Image created by Gracen Tate on Canva