• May 20Heavy fog and low visibility will be experienced in morning hours.
  • May 20Tomorrow will be 1st and 3rd period exams.
  • May 20Red Lobster files bankruptcy.
  • May 17Graduation will be held indoors today, begins at 6:30.
  • May 17North Carolina debating bill that could potentially ban wearing masks in public.
  • May 17Texas hit by wave of severe weather.
  • May 16JV and Varsity baseball plays Goochland tonight.
  • May 16Caitlin Clark's first game in WNBA breaks viewership records.
  • May 16Florida passes legislation that shifts energy focus away from addressing climate change.
  • May 15The senior scholarship ceremony will take place today.

LCPS finds a new way to provide safety for students

Staff waiting for students to enter the building to get checked in at the vestibule.
El personal espera a que los estudiantes entren al edificio para registrarse en el vestíbulo.
Emily Jones
Staff waiting for students to enter the building to get checked in at the vestibule. El personal espera a que los estudiantes entren al edificio para registrarse en el vestíbulo.

Louisa County Public Schools have placed weapons detection systems in their buildings to ensure the safety of students and staff. On August 14th the high school put them in effect, the middle school on August 21st, and the elementary schools started using them on the 28th.

The weapon detectors that were placed in the school are produced by the company CEIA OpenGate, which is the brand of weapon detectors that is used at many major league sports games and concert arenas around the country.

A close up of the new detectors in the front vestibule of the high school. (Emily Jones)

Over the years, Louisa County Public Schools has done many things to reinforce the safety protocols, and adding weapons detectors is the latest step in the process.

“I think the weapon detectors are a good addition, ”Principal Rodney Redd said. “I think this is another tool that allows us to continue to create and maintain a safe and orderly environment here at Louisa County High School.”

Every morning as the students walk into the building, students pull out their Chromebooks and hand them to a staff member.  As they walk through the detectors, they get their Chromebooks handed back to them. When students walk through, they have to make sure to have their backpack in the middle of their back and they have to walk directly through the middle or the detectors will be set off. Not all metals will set off the detectors, only certain and larger types of metals. 

“I feel that there are plus side things but it could make a few students nervous because it’s very surreal,” Student Emma Newton said. 

“What we strived for is to not change the inviting and welcoming atmosphere that we work to create every day here in Louisa County Public Schools,” Division Superintendent Doug Straley said. “I think we can say that at this point, we’ve effectively implemented the detectors and maintained that welcoming and inviting environment that is so important.”

“I know Mr. Straley is doing great work at delivering a world-class education to everybody,“ Sergeant Rob Sarnoski said. “From studying lots of different schools with different safety challenges, we know it’s important that students and staff feel welcomed and comfortable. Otherwise, you can’t deliver that world-class education.”

The middle school introduced the detectors at the entrance of the building. (Emily Jones )