• May 3Cellular providers face lawsuits regarding alerts during Maui wildfires.
  • May 3Walmart issues recall on beef contaminated with E coli.
  • May 3Baseball and softball play Orange tonight.
  • May 2Federal Reserve decides not to increase interests rates.
  • May 2Girls and boys soccer faces off against Orange tonight.
  • May 2China to begin Chang'e 6 , a mission to collect data from the dark side of the moon.
  • May 1Joe Vogel,age 27, earns the title of youngest state delegate in Maryland history.
  • May 1Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 1Rare pigmentation causes golden retriever puppy to be born with green fur.
  • April 30Track will host meet tonight at 5 pm.

Long Live Jimmy Buffett

Well known music legend, Jimmy Buffett died due to skin cancer.
Kathy Hutchins
LOS ANGELES MAR 28 – Jimmy Buffett at The Beach Bum Premiere at the ArcLight Hollywood on March 28, 2019 in Los Angeles, CA
Video of Jimmy Buffett's greatest hits provided by INDIE MUSIC

Jimmy Buffett, a well known legend in the tropical world has died. Buffett was born December 25th 1946, in Pascagoula, Mississippi.

According to www.jimmybuffett.com, Buffett passed away on September 1st from Merkel Cell Skin Cancer which he had been battling for four years. 

Buffett left behind a legacy for his fans, known as “Parrotheads”, and his family. Buffett’s music was praised by his fans alike.

Special Education teacher Sayward Labrador sits at her desk with a big smile remembering Jimmy Buffett’s music.

“It was really good groove music to sit on the beach, hang out with your friends and you know have a great time and I’m sure he’s gonna be missed all over the world,” Special Education English teacher Sayward Labrador said.

Buffett’s music was meant to bring listeners into a place of relaxation, full of happiness and tranquility. 

“If you’re thinking kinda bleak thoughts just listen to Jimmy Buffett for twenty minutes and you’re in a good place,” history teacher Mark Harris said.

Buffett enjoyed sitting on the beach and soaking in the sun, and his purpose when writing music was to put those feelings in a song.

“My favorite thing is he gets people throughout all ages, no matter how old you are he gets how you feel, it’s really inspiring to me,” freshman Warren Coles said.

Freshman Warren Coles, who is inspired by Jimmy Buffett’s music, poses for a photo in the hall.

“Parrotheads” all over loved Buffett for his laid back personality and mentality. He led them to a better life by encouraging them to be better.

“His kindness and willingness to collaborate to make the world a better place, his work with the environment, his overall demeanor, is all amazing,” English teacher Meredith Williamson said.

Buffett’s fans felt that he did more than just write music. He inspired them to be better as a person and he taught them lessons.

“I think for me it’s to not take yourself but so serious and you know that life is short and you’ve got to enjoy what you have,” Harris said.