• April 29Country singer,Zach Byran, gives aid to community after natural disaster.
  • April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.

Stepping into the starlight

Julianna Minor
Tryout for district chorus took place on October 18th with different schools all coming with their chorus students hoping for a slot in the district chorus.

Freshmen, seniors, and anyone in between with a chorus-related class had the opportunity to try out for a district chorus on Wednesday, October 18.

“I think tryouts are very diverse, there’s a lot of different types of people from different schools, it’s fun to see,” senior and district chorus auditioner Neveah Cosby said.

Madison Gardner( mainstage student ) hugging her friend from another school. On chorus audition day. (Julianna Minor)

District course tryouts were held at Louisa County this year and gave a limited number of students from different schools around Jefferson schools a chance to join an exclusive group. 

“Everyone feels pressure since everyone can’t get in,” performing arts teacher Jelita Perry said. ”

“I think it’s a big accomplishment for these kids to get into district chorus.”

Trying out for the district chorus held different values for everyone. Auditioners could categorize the successes and losses differently for getting in. 

“It is a fun experience, and if you get to see all the people, it’s just a ton of fun,” Connor Michael freshman said.

Practices in preparation for the tryouts have already happened, and the selected song for this year’s tryouts is “Blow, Blow Thou Winter Wind” by William Shakespeare.

“I like the song and I think the practices really helped, but I think the breath control will affect who gets in,” Michael said.

On tryout day, everyone came in prepared with “Blow, Blow Thou Winter Wind” by William Shakespeare, and student from the hosting school (Louisa this year) helped guide and prepared the groups were are participants separated by vocal type, school age, and number) for their audition.

Student assisting with tryouts talking to Performing Arts teacher Mrs.Perry in regard to the lineup for district chorus tryouts. (Julianna Minor)

“I love theater and chorus, and I would love to join the district chorus for my senior year and perform with them,” Cosby said.

District chorus kids have the opportunity to perform at Charlottesville High School if they make the cut. Then, they have the opportunity to get into the All States Chorus, which only the best in each district chorus can get into.

“These students are brave just for trying out and both the ones that make it in and don’t can do great things,” Perry said.