Local Exterior Solutions

• May 13Varsity baseball plays John Randolph Tucker High School tonight at 6.
  • May 13Speech and debate state champions,Reese Merritt and Hannah Hearn, qualify for national competitions.
  • May 13Famous producer,Roger Corman, passes away at the age of 98.
  • May 10Senior scholarships and awards will be announced tonight.
  • May 10The Mental Health Awareness Walk has been postponed until May 20th.
  • May 10Girls varsity soccer plays Monticello tonight at 6:30.
  • May 9Baseball and softball play Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 9Vermont now requires fossil fuel companies to pay reparations for climate change.
  • May 9Severe weather claims multiple lives in southern states.
  • May 8Track will host meet today starting at 2.

High Attention Placed On Speaker of the House Vote

Heightened focus was placed on the house of representative as a result of the speaker of the house vote.

Over the last couple of weeks, the media and citizens of the United States have directed their focus towards their government. Especially the House of Representatives because, for the first time in US history, the Speaker of the House was removed.

Per apnews.com, on October 3, 2023, house speaker republican Kevin McCarthy was removed after the house voted to decide his fate. McCarthy represents California and has served in politics since 1987. McCarthy, in the time leading up to his removal, was faced with a decision as to whether or not he would voice the Democratic party’s consideration to avoid a government shutdown. McCarthy ultimately made compromises with the Democratic party.  However, this move did not sit well with several republicans, leading to the vote that removed McCarthy. McCarthy’s removal has been the subject of controversy over the past couple of weeks, with supporters of both parties voicing their opinions.

“I think this decision to remove McCarthy will help decrease tension,”  sophomore Jonathon Slager said.  ”Now the speaker can focus less on trying to please each individual politician and instead work on passing bills and making important decisions.”

Photo of sophomore and junior varsity football player, Jonathon Slegar, standing in the first floor hallway. (Sumner Armstrong)

McCarthy’s removal left the house without a crucial position. Per kids-clerk.house.gov, the Speaker of the House plays a key role in various house processes. Without the speaker in place, important subjects such as healthcare and aid to countries in war can not be addressed, therefore impacting the American people and the world.

Photo of World History I teacher Mr. Thomas Jordan, posing in the third-floor hallway. (Sumner Armstrong)

“I don’t think it was a smart move for the Republicans,” World History I teacher Thomas Jordan said. “I think it’s going to cost them in the long run, I don’t think this will affect them in the polls, but It will be remembered.”

Per nbcnews.com, the Republican party elected a new speaker, Mike Johnson who represents Louisiana, on October 25th. Johnson was one of four primary candidates for the role (the previous three either elected not to run or had insufficient party support). With Johnson’s election, the house will be able to return to its normal functionality and pass bills. 

“There’s a ton of issues on Johnson’s plate,” AP Government teacher Mark Harris said. “You’ve got the aid to Israel, whether or not the house is going to continue to fund Ukraine, and the potential shutdown in November.”

This entire process has displayed a unique situation that has never occurred before in this country’s history.

“The most fascinating part about this is that people look at the Republican party or Democratic party as these monolithic institutions when in reality there are a lot of diverse opinions,” Harris said.  “These margins  are so small that a very small group of people can really shut down the entire house of Representatives, which is kind of scary when you think about it.”