• May 7Girls Varsity Tennis faces off against Charlottesville High School tonight at 5.
  • May 7Third American detained in Russia.
  • May 7Severe outbreak of tornados experienced in multiple states across US.
  • May 6Boys and Girls soccer plays CHS tonight.
  • May 6Human contracts avian flu while working with dairy.
  • May 6NASA intends on sending two astronauts to ISS using Boeing spacecraft.
  • May 3Cellular providers face lawsuits regarding alerts during Maui wildfires.
  • May 3Walmart issues recall on beef contaminated with E coli.
  • May 3Baseball and softball play Orange tonight.
  • May 2Federal Reserve decides not to increase interests rates.

Local officials visit the library to talk with seniors

Students+Maya+Braxton+and+Hailey+Mundie+pose+for+a+photo+in+the+glass+classroom+at+the+Promote+the+Vote+event.+
Bayleigh Michael
Students Maya Braxton and Hailey Mundie pose for a photo in the glass classroom at the Promote the Vote event.

On Thursday the 19th, the library hosted a Promote-the-Vote event for seniors. This event allowed students to ask questions and learn about the voting process. Local officials from the county visited; they talked about local government and the voting processes. 

Anthony McClendan, a Louisa County voter representative, smiles for a photo at his booth. (Bayleigh Michael)

Seniors were called up in groups to go to the library. They were given a voting card with their district. They had to complete a scavenger hunt, which included talking to all the county officials.

“The purpose is to encourage students to be active citizens and participate, vote, and play a role in their community,” said librarian Debra Forbes, the host of the event.

Since these students will be graduating this year and will be of age to vote, this could help them make more informed decisions. In addition to encouraging active citizenship and participation, the goal was to prepare graduating students to start making these important decisions on their own.

“They are obviously there for a reason, and I might be able to hear from them and also learn about the people that are in our local government,” said senior Kassandra Harman.

Joanna Hickman, a Promote the Vote representative, explains her campaign to a Louisa County senior. (Bayleigh Michael)

Something that the students were looking forward to was having the opportunity to hear from the candidates. It allowed them to speak with the candidates and listen to their individual views and opinions. 

“It’s nice to see a lot of political figures that you see on TV and see their point of views on things,” said senior Aniya Walton.