• May 20Heavy fog and low visibility will be experienced in morning hours.
  • May 20Tomorrow will be 1st and 3rd period exams.
  • May 20Red Lobster files bankruptcy.
  • May 17Graduation will be held indoors today, begins at 6:30.
  • May 17North Carolina debating bill that could potentially ban wearing masks in public.
  • May 17Texas hit by wave of severe weather.
  • May 16JV and Varsity baseball plays Goochland tonight.
  • May 16Caitlin Clark's first game in WNBA breaks viewership records.
  • May 16Florida passes legislation that shifts energy focus away from addressing climate change.
  • May 15The senior scholarship ceremony will take place today.

“The Hunger Games” prequel set to be adapted into a movie

Original+Hunger+Games+series+by+Suzanne+Collins+sits+behind+open+A+Ballad+of+Songbirds+and+Snakes+book+
Original “Hunger Games” series by Suzanne Collins sits behind open “A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” book

Recently, it was announced that the prequel to The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, known as A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, is going to be adapted into a movie. The prequel was released in 2020 and followed the story of Coriolanus Snow, who later became the tyrannical ruler of Panem. The prequel was set 64 years before the events of the original series.

A pile of “A Ballad of Songbird and Snakes” books being displayed

The prequel was a success as it paid tribute to the original series through foreshadowing and symbolism, while also having an unfamiliar plot that engaged the audience. It drew readers back into the world of Panem with a whole new story and new perspective.

“I think it went really well with the original series,” senior Joshua Hix said. “The entire basis of the series was understanding why the Hunger Games happened and going from Katniss’s point of view, to the origins of it and how it came to be.” 

Something that almost all readers agree on is that movie adaptations are never as good as the books. However, many fans agree that The Hunger Games movies helped bring the series to life through their casting choices and preservation of the books. 

“I really liked the original movies, I thought they were really good,” sophomore Hurley Lucckese said. 

From the trailer and various advertisements that have been released, readers can get a peek at what to expect from the film. It is scheduled to be released in theaters on November 17th, and fans are excited to see how the adaptation compares to both the books and the past movie adaptations. 

“I think it will be interesting, trying to take it from the book to the movie is always interesting,” sophomore Sophia Ryan said.