• March 4Caitlin Clark becomes all-time leading scorer in NCAA division one basketball.
  • March 4Eagles center, Jason Kelce, retires after 13 seasons in the NFL.
  • March 4Donald Trump wins Colorado ballot case.
  • March 1Texas experiences largest wildfire in state history, currently showing no signs of resolve.
  • March 1Varsity and JV softball will have pictures today.
  • March 1Varsity and JV baseball scrimmages are canceled.
  • February 29Former WWE wrestler, Michael Jones, passes away at 61.
  • February 29JV and Varsity baseball will have team pictures after school today.
  • February 29Comedian, Richard Lewis, passes away at the age of 76.
  • February 28Nike will be creating new uniforms for National Women's Soccer League.

“The Hunger Games” prequel set to be adapted into a movie

Original+Hunger+Games+series+by+Suzanne+Collins+sits+behind+open+A+Ballad+of+Songbirds+and+Snakes+book+
Original “Hunger Games” series by Suzanne Collins sits behind open “A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” book

Recently, it was announced that the prequel to The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, known as A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, is going to be adapted into a movie. The prequel was released in 2020 and followed the story of Coriolanus Snow, who later became the tyrannical ruler of Panem. The prequel was set 64 years before the events of the original series.

A pile of “A Ballad of Songbird and Snakes” books being displayed

The prequel was a success as it paid tribute to the original series through foreshadowing and symbolism, while also having an unfamiliar plot that engaged the audience. It drew readers back into the world of Panem with a whole new story and new perspective.

“I think it went really well with the original series,” senior Joshua Hix said. “The entire basis of the series was understanding why the Hunger Games happened and going from Katniss’s point of view, to the origins of it and how it came to be.” 

Something that almost all readers agree on is that movie adaptations are never as good as the books. However, many fans agree that The Hunger Games movies helped bring the series to life through their casting choices and preservation of the books. 

“I really liked the original movies, I thought they were really good,” sophomore Hurley Lucckese said. 

From the trailer and various advertisements that have been released, readers can get a peek at what to expect from the film. It is scheduled to be released in theaters on November 17th, and fans are excited to see how the adaptation compares to both the books and the past movie adaptations. 

“I think it will be interesting, trying to take it from the book to the movie is always interesting,” sophomore Sophia Ryan said.