• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Touchdown for the girls

Football came back to the jungle for one night only allowing girls to storm the field for Powder Puff.
Julianna Minor
Girls from every grade level stormed the jungle for Powderpuff this Wednesday. With new cheerleaders and awesome routines to cheer them on.

The third annual powderpuff game fundraiser for yearbook took place again on Wednesday.

“So it’s just been a great fundraiser and a way for us to have fun and just create a better culture in Louisa through football,” senior and powderpuff organizer Lawton Rowan said.

Freshmen, Powderpuff player Bailey Fox kneeling during stretches while talking to her powderpuff coach at the game. (Julianna Minor )

Each flag football team was separated by their high school grade level, while male cheerleaders worked  all together. The members of the powderpuff game planned and practiced on Mondays during club time.

“Practice was good team building and it made me excited to go up against the other teams,” junior powderpuff player Anari Harris said.

The first round of games was the matchup of juniors versus freshman on one half of the field, while seniors versus sophomores were on the other half of the field.

“We’re going up against the freshmen first which should be interesting,” Harris said.

Seniors took home the win for their first game with a score of 8-0. Juniors also won their first game with a score 8-6 after the juniors decided to kneel to win. Unfortunately, for both the freshmen and sophomore their losses put them out of contention for the big win of the night.

“I was happy we made it past the first round since that meant we could possibly win,” Harris said.

After the first round of the games finished, a brief intermission took place with a performance from the cheerleaders. Then it was finally time for juniors and seniors to face off for a final game to see who would come home victorious.

“I’ve done it the last two years so I had to do it my senior year.” senior powder puff player Nina Fenster said “Fingers crossed we do good.”

After tremendous effort and a short intermission due to the injury of Junior, Livia Richardson the juniors came up victorious against the seniors with the score of 12-0.

“It felt great to win,” Harris said.

Once the game was over both teams met in the middle to high five their opponents. Juniors were then given medals for placing in first.

“Getting a medal was fun, it was a fun night,”Harris said.

After all the games ended, Powderpuff players and cheerleaders gathered in the center of the football field and prayed with one another.

“Powderpuff does an excellent job of bringing more people together; people who really care about the Louisa community and people who really care about the people beside them,” Rowan said.