• March 4Caitlin Clark becomes all-time leading scorer in NCAA division one basketball.
  • March 4Eagles center, Jason Kelce, retires after 13 seasons in the NFL.
  • March 4Donald Trump wins Colorado ballot case.
  • March 1Texas experiences largest wildfire in state history, currently showing no signs of resolve.
  • March 1Varsity and JV softball will have pictures today.
  • March 1Varsity and JV baseball scrimmages are canceled.
  • February 29Former WWE wrestler, Michael Jones, passes away at 61.
  • February 29JV and Varsity baseball will have team pictures after school today.
  • February 29Comedian, Richard Lewis, passes away at the age of 76.
  • February 28Nike will be creating new uniforms for National Women's Soccer League.

The advantages of Career Technical Education

The+schools+cosmetology+and+barbering+lab+with+lots+of+practice+tools+and+stations+
The schools cosmetology and barbering lab with lots of practice tools and stations

Courses that are common in schools across the nation are CTE classes, or Career Technical Education classes. These classes are taught as a way to prepare students for the workforce and different careers they may pursue after high school. 

The real purpose of having CTE classes is to encourage students to look at all of the different options for career advancement and be able to pursue what interests them in a school setting. This is helpful for teens to have because it can give them an advantage when it comes to post-secondary technical schools.

“I was taught the basics and foundations of welding, so it definitely prepared me to go into a welding career,” senior Kaylee Hustead said. 

From cosmetology to construction, students at the high school have around 17 career pathways that they could choose from. Within these career pathways are several specialized classes for different technical careers that any student could choose to pursue.

“They definitely have good funding, and the teachers are good too,” Autotech 1 student Wyatt Moses said. “It prepares the students in general for life better than some other schools. The school does a good job.”

Students can also take advantage of the many other benefits that CTE classes offer. Some of these courses teach life skills such as; cooking, car maintenance, and money management. These skills can benefit every single student, and not just those looking for a technical career. 

“In the majority of the classes offered, students can walk away with learning experiences,” Cosmetology and Barbering teacher Tammy Brown said. “In Autotech, they can learn how to change their oil or change a flat tire.”

Another benefit of offering CTE courses in high school is that they’re accessible for students. They’re offered at the school, so students have immediate access to them and they don’t have to worry about travel. Also, these classes cost little to no money, so students can get training without the large costs and transportation issues. For example, the autotech classes at the school don’t cost the student anything, but an automotive technology certificate program outside of the school could cost around $10,000. 

“They’re definitely financially accessible,” Family and Consumer Sciences teacher Nicole Lohr said. “Louisa goes all in for their students and their success.” 

One of the most important parts of career technical education is the actual workforce. The director of CTE and workforce development, Bo Bundrick, weekly offers opportunities for students to get internships or apprenticeship programs to help them take the first step in their careers. This gives them the real world experience they need while also continuing their education in that specific field.

“The school even tries to get their students into related post-secondary technical schools,” Hustead said. 

These courses and programs also play a large role in strengthening the school. For example, the carpentry students have been building sheds and garages. The culinary classes recently prepared the food for the Homecoming last October. The CTE students not only get extra experience and practice with real life scenarios, they also support their community and school in meaningful ways. 

“I wish that I had more experiences that the students have here in Louisa because they’re more prepared when they go out into the workforce,” Lohr said.