• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Wreaths Across America

Courtesy of Arlington National Cemetery
Participants in the annual Wreaths Across America.
Armed services career club member holds flag while watching over the obstacle course. (Evan Capozella )

Wreaths Across America is a national organization that collects donations and distributes wreaths in national cemeteries across the country for  fallen soldiers. Regional organizations are also involved in providing this service for graves of local heroes.
Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Bourne  Bourne runs an in-school program known as the Armed Services Career Club (ASCC). ASCC mission is to prepare students for military life and accentuates drill, ceremony, military history, land navigation, first aid, and recruitment education.
ASCC has been involved with Wreaths Across America for the past six years, working as a local branch.
“We raise money for the wreaths, or just let people know about it,” Bourne said. “The more people who know about the cause, the more the organization can benefit as a result.” Laying wreaths is a formal and valuable cause that deserves dignity and respect.
“What you are supposed to do is read the veteran’s name, thank him or her for their service, put the wreath down, and go on to the next one,” Bourne said.
Wreaths can also be donated or paid for by a third party and then designated to certain graves. The Wreaths have the added purpose of bringing honor to the final resting places of so many.
“I do one for my dad, and one for my father-in-law every year,” Bourne said.
Such donations don’t go to any particular grave, but they have notes attached to them containing information like the name of the veteran it was designated to.
One of the many values embedded into the members of ASCC is the appreciation of veterans: a value that has laid the foundation for Wreaths Across America and organizations like it.
“Wreaths Across America is such an important cause because it thanks fallen veterans and shows them the recognition that they deserve,” said Bradley Christenson. Bradley is a senior at LCHS and has been involved in Bourne’s ASCC for the past 4 years.
Bourne is known for being very active in the community and taking the ASCC to numerous different events such as the Trunk or Treat and the Homecoming parade.
“Learning from Bourne has changed my perspective on many different things in life such as the value of hard work,” said Christenson. “A valuable mentor is someone who all can aspire to be like and teach important values.”
“Others talk about getting things done Bourne gets stuff done,” said sophomore and ASCC member Ener Contreras Martinez. “Bourne has had a great impact on my life and the community, he does important work and we’re lucky to have him.”