• March 4Caitlin Clark becomes all-time leading scorer in NCAA division one basketball.
  • March 4Eagles center, Jason Kelce, retires after 13 seasons in the NFL.
  • March 4Donald Trump wins Colorado ballot case.
  • March 1Texas experiences largest wildfire in state history, currently showing no signs of resolve.
  • March 1Varsity and JV softball will have pictures today.
  • March 1Varsity and JV baseball scrimmages are canceled.
  • February 29Former WWE wrestler, Michael Jones, passes away at 61.
  • February 29JV and Varsity baseball will have team pictures after school today.
  • February 29Comedian, Richard Lewis, passes away at the age of 76.
  • February 28Nike will be creating new uniforms for National Women's Soccer League.

Underclassmen rise to the top

The+Lady+Lions+varsity+basketball+team+huddled+together+during+a+timeout+in+their+game+against+Albemarle+
Isaiah Holland
The Lady Lions varsity basketball team huddled together during a timeout in their game against Albemarle

Lady Lions varsity basketball has changed with the majority of the team graduated and new underclassman making their way up the roster. 

Being the youngest team in the Jefferson District helps the girls motivate and create close relationships with each other. As the oldest on the team, Kaniya Quarles has seized the opportunity to be a role model for her team members. 

“It makes me sad that I’m the only senior, but I do love working with the younger girls,” Quarles said.

Senior, Kaniya Quarles who plays on the varsity Lady Lions basketball team poses in the hallway

Having bonds as a young team encourages the players to keep their heads up no matter the outcome. On and off the court, time spent with each other is fun and allows everyone to grow together. 

“We go over to each others houses”, Quarles said.“We had Thanksgiving and Christmas parties.” 

This year’s team has had to learn what it takes to compete at the level they do. They have been recognized for their drive on the court. Coach Nicholas Schreck mentions how age isn’t just what makes a team.

“We are a young group, but they’re a great group of people on and off the court who are willing to work hard,” Schreck said. 

While being on the court, the girls keep their head on a constant swivel. As they work through the game, the girs have to have each others back noticing other players around them. Throughout the 32 minute games, the girls all know their end goal is to win and this motivates them through highs and lows on the court.        

“Its a fast paced game so we always have to move quickly with communication and our reflexes,” Cheely said. “We all want to win for each other and that’s what keeps us going.”

When entering a new season, change is a common factor. For Schreck’s team, no matter the changes, the end goal for the season remains the same. 

This standard is the standard in our program, so as far as coaching goes, nothing changes for us if we want to remain at the top,” Schreck said, “We know our system and philosophies work, we just have to make small changes to what is best for the group of players we have each year.”

Lady Lions varsity basketball team stands along the three point line during the National Anthem

One day, girls are joining the team freshmen year, and the next they’re playing their last game. High school flies by, sometimes its hard to stop and fully live in the moment. Quarles shares some advice she’d give to the younger players. 

“I would tell the younger girls to enjoy it while it lasts, it goes by so quickly,” Quarles said.