• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Stephen vs. Sabrina

After beating the all-time three-point record and winning two three-point contests, the  Golden State Warriors’ point guard Stephen Curry finally had some competition. 

“Steph is an amazing shooter it’s no surprise he holds like all the three-point records,” Freshman Daphne Anderson said.

Freshman basketball player Daphne Anderson who watched the Stephen vs Sabrina Three-point Challenge (Amara Comfort)

In 2021, during the All-Star weekend, Curry tied the record for most points in the three-point contests, scoring 31 out of 40 points. But the  New York Liberty Guard Sabrina Ionescu broke Curry’s record during the WNBA All-Star weekend,

making 37 out of 40 points.

Ionescu has been trying to set up a shooting competition with Curry for a long time now. using social media Ionescu had been demanding to compete against Curry

“Sabrina’s gonna win, she’s still in her prime. Younger Steph would get her, but older Steph might not have it in him,” Physical ed teacher Kevin Fisher said, making a prediction before the contest.  

After the 2024 three-point contest was over the two faced off against each other on Feb. 17th in a challenge labeled the “Stephen vs Sabrina Three-point Challenge”. Ionescu shot with the WNBA ball from the NBA three-point line, while Curry shot from the same line with the NBA ball.

“I think the rules are fair,” Anderson said “She’s still shooting from the NBA line like the rest of the three-point shooters in the contest.”

Graphic of Ionescu and Curry showing her eagerness to play. from Espn’s Instagram.

Ionescu started off making her first eight shots in a row and getting a total score of 26. Curry was at the half court line scoping out the competition, while also hyping up the crowd while Ionescu shot. Curry beat Ionescu with a final score of 29.

Though Ionescu lost to Curry, she tied for second against all the other three-point contest participants. Damian Lillard, the 2024 three-point contest winner, got a final score of 26 to win, meaning Ionescu had the second best three-point performance that night. 

“ I would love to see more of this,” Anderson said. “Caitlyn Clark versus Klay [Thompson]  would be amazing.”