• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Spring Creek Hosts the Ladies Member Guest

Sophomore+Ava+Garrison+and+Senior+Emma+Zelaski+conversing+during+the+tournament.+
Faith Garrison
Sophomore Ava Garrison and Senior Emma Zelaski conversing during the tournament.

The Ladies Member Guest golf tournament is a two-day golfing competition in which a multitude of teams compete to win. The Ladies Member Guest is an annual event hosted by the Spring Creek Golf Club, and brings new people to the course. This year, senior Emma Zelaski and sophomore Ava Garrison attended the tournament. Zelaski and Garrison are currently members of the Spring Creek Golf Club and have invited people outside of the club to participate.

Additionally Zelaski has been participating in the sport since she was eight years old. 

“I got into golf because my best friend was doing it, so it was just something that we did together,” Zelaski said. 

Senior Emma Zelaski practicing her swing before hitting the golf ball. (Faith Garrison)

Garrison joined because of a friend and continued to golf for 6 years. Garrison and Zelaski are now members of the school golf team. 

During the two days of the tournament, players play a total of 27 holes. The first day, teams are put into flights where they are assigned an opponent.  

“Whoever had the most points in that flight would move on to the shootout,” Garrison says. 

In another section of the competition, players compete in a contest called the Island Green. 

“There’s this putting green, and we would hit from [hole] 18 over the water onto the green,” Garrison said. “There’s a box around the hole and you get different points based on where you land, and whoever gets the most points goes to the shootout.” Zelaski and Garrison both tied in the competition.

Golf chair, Stephanie Zelaski has been participating in the Ladies Member Guest tournament for three years. 

Sophomore Ava Garrison setting up her putt, and preparing to make it into the hole. (Faith Garrison )

“I’ve loved how I’ve seen it grow. It was a very small event and each year it gets bigger and bigger,” Mrs. Zelaski said. 

“We’re getting more and more ladies in this community involved,” Mrs. Zelaski says.

Mrs. Zelaski started golfing five years ago and gives some advice for people looking to get into the sport. 

“Golf, it’s a love hate relationship, I’ll have one of the best rounds ever, and then the next day it’s like you’ve never played golf before,” Mrs. Zelaski said. “You just have to keep going.”