• March 4Caitlin Clark becomes all-time leading scorer in NCAA division one basketball.
  • March 4Eagles center, Jason Kelce, retires after 13 seasons in the NFL.
  • March 4Donald Trump wins Colorado ballot case.
  • March 1Texas experiences largest wildfire in state history, currently showing no signs of resolve.
  • March 1Varsity and JV softball will have pictures today.
  • March 1Varsity and JV baseball scrimmages are canceled.
  • February 29Former WWE wrestler, Michael Jones, passes away at 61.
  • February 29JV and Varsity baseball will have team pictures after school today.
  • February 29Comedian, Richard Lewis, passes away at the age of 76.
  • February 28Nike will be creating new uniforms for National Women's Soccer League.

Laurelei Choi Sticks With It

Laurelei Choi’s Field Hockey Recognition
Keira Apple
Field hockey team pictures of the 2023-2024 season.

As the field hockey season comes to an end, a player is recognized for her journey throughout the years. Laurelei Choi is a sophomore who plays for the varsity field hockey team. 

Choi’s journey began around her fourth and fifth grade year. She began playing for a recreational league in Charlottesville, working her way up to play travel teams. Choi has been playing for the school since her eighth grade year and plans to continue. 

“I started in a smaller Charlottesville league, so it wasn’t like we were traveling at all, it was just like a recreational thing,” said Choi.

Choi’s dedication stands out, as well as her strategic view of the field. With her control of playing and strategizing, Choi awakens the field for her teammates and her coaches.

“When she is dribbling down the field, her dodges and the way she moves around players stand out,” said varsity field hockey’s coach, Meredith Williamson. ”The way that she sees the field and the openings and the gaps in the defense also allow her fellow teammates to see the openings and the gaps with defense.”

Laurelei Choi in action using her stick skills to move up the field at the Louisa Football Stadium. (Courtesy of Laurelei Choi)

Choi’s friends recognize her skill and the environment she creates when she is around. She brings a constructive sense of guidance and an uplifting attitude towards the team.

“She brings leadership and lots of skill to the team and just a positive atmosphere,” Senior Mallory Greslick said.

Recently, Choi has been out because of a concussion injury, but as Williamson predicted  Choi has recovered and is back on the field.   

Coach Meredith Williamson paused her 1st period to take her picture in her field hockey wear. (Deisy Siegrist)

“I have full confidence that she can do it,” said Williamson. “Coming back from a concussion injury is so difficult, And I think that that’s what she’s going to worry about, [but] just

knowing that she can do it and that she needs to be confident in her abilities. I think that that’s just the most important thing coming back right now.”