• May 2Federal Reserve decides not to increase interests rates.
  • May 2Girls and boys soccer faces off against Orange tonight.
  • May 2China to begin Chang'e 6 , a mission to collect data from the dark side of the moon.
  • May 1Joe Vogel,age 27, earns the title of youngest state delegate in Maryland history.
  • May 1Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 1Rare pigmentation causes golden retriever puppy to be born with green fur.
  • April 30Track will host meet tonight at 5 pm.
  • April 30Georgia power plant, Vogtle, brings new nuclear reactor online.
  • April 30Four Zebras spotted in North Bend Washington after escaping from captivity.
  • April 29The Rolling Stones begin North American tour.

Laurelei Choi Sticks With It

Laurelei Choi’s Field Hockey Recognition
Keira Apple
Field hockey team pictures of the 2023-2024 season.

As the field hockey season comes to an end, a player is recognized for her journey throughout the years. Laurelei Choi is a sophomore who plays for the varsity field hockey team. 

Choi’s journey began around her fourth and fifth grade year. She began playing for a recreational league in Charlottesville, working her way up to play travel teams. Choi has been playing for the school since her eighth grade year and plans to continue. 

“I started in a smaller Charlottesville league, so it wasn’t like we were traveling at all, it was just like a recreational thing,” said Choi.

Choi’s dedication stands out, as well as her strategic view of the field. With her control of playing and strategizing, Choi awakens the field for her teammates and her coaches.

“When she is dribbling down the field, her dodges and the way she moves around players stand out,” said varsity field hockey’s coach, Meredith Williamson. ”The way that she sees the field and the openings and the gaps in the defense also allow her fellow teammates to see the openings and the gaps with defense.”

Laurelei Choi in action using her stick skills to move up the field at the Louisa Football Stadium. (Courtesy of Laurelei Choi)

Choi’s friends recognize her skill and the environment she creates when she is around. She brings a constructive sense of guidance and an uplifting attitude towards the team.

“She brings leadership and lots of skill to the team and just a positive atmosphere,” Senior Mallory Greslick said.

Recently, Choi has been out because of a concussion injury, but as Williamson predicted  Choi has recovered and is back on the field.   

Coach Meredith Williamson paused her 1st period to take her picture in her field hockey wear. (Deisy Siegrist)

“I have full confidence that she can do it,” said Williamson. “Coming back from a concussion injury is so difficult, And I think that that’s what she’s going to worry about, [but] just

knowing that she can do it and that she needs to be confident in her abilities. I think that that’s just the most important thing coming back right now.”